Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook video calling

Beans

Re: Facebook video calling

I reckon that there is a good chance that Google will step up on this one with their new Facebook challenge, if they want to succeed they must be able to do everything that Facebook can & some.

If anyone can do it, Google can.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I reckon that there is a good chance that Google will step up on this one with their new Facebook challenge, if they want to succeed they must be able to do everything that Facebook can & some.

And probably still no Linux support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Google don't have an amazing history of Linux support, but it is a minority market share.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, this makes me root for Google+ too.

Sure Google may not be particular Linux-centric, but still look at the battlefield:

- Google wants to beat Facebook.
    - Facebooks weakness in this regard is its privacy concerns and unsupported clientele; Google would want to snatch these up ASAP.
    - Facebook uses a proprietary codec for its video-conferencing thus being subject to licensing-terms and the bill that follows. Any offspring-service of this would be subjected to the same conditions.
    - Facebook is in bed with Microsoft. Microsoft makes money off licensing Skype to Facebook.
    - Microsoft leeches off of Android with imaginary patents, making money from Googles product.
    - Google makes revenue through advertising and are thus more positively geared towards open source as they don't focus on selling software. Google summer of code is an example thereof.
    - Google+ is still in its infancy, it will need major code-contributions to suprseed Facebook.
    - Guess who like to contribute code, Open source users.

Anyone in their right mind would say that the course is clear: Make Google+ as open as humanly possible, codecs, protocols, API's etc. Google need every inch they can gain over Facebook and Microsoft in regards to wooing users on this one.

Also, Facebook and Microsoft is hogtied to each other by now because of Skype. All it takes to make them redundant in that department is a widely adopted open sourced voice/video-protocol. It's the software equivalent of scorched earth, only it's not illegal, and everybody but Microsoft and Facebook will prosper from it.
    Last edited by ZarathustraDK; July 7th, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Google is by far the largest supporter of open-source software on the planet.

It is worth remembering that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Google is by far the largest supporter of open-source software on the planet.
    That has nothing to do with supporting Linux, however.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    That has nothing to do with supporting Linux, however.
    Agreed, though I do like to live in hope...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This is the last straw.I am now officially rooting for google in the google+ vs fb war
    Drop box is a great solution for cloud storage.
    Use this link to get 250 mb more space than the usual 2 gb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Didn't we have video calling in the 1990's?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    Didn't we have video calling in the 1990's?
    If you can't use a website to chat, post images, stream web-cams, and generally plan your life, it's just not cool enough.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast