Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Meanwhile Gnome is a small dumpy restaurant with only three foods, all of them made out of three ingredients:
    Water, ice and water ice.
    You can have ice water made with water ice, water ice made with ice water and water.

Soon in the next version they wont even use water, they will give you just the components of water (2 parts hydrogen one parts oxygen) and you have to go to another store to make it for you.
    Haha

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    You must be a kde fan

Sorry, i prefer clean and simple..don't need a quadrillion number of settings...
    also, these days, i think ubuntu with unity is very attractive looking to the eye...especially with the light theme option rather then the standard dark default for the panel and windows...
    and it has all the settings i need for my purposes...

But that was funny...
    The problem with Gnomes "clean and simple" approach is that it takes so much away every 12 seconds.
    We went from Gnome 2 one of the most tweakable, easy to use interfaces to a limited and crippled product that offers nothing except for a default theme and a separate tool not included by default just to remotely configure things to your liking.
    The approach goes against many aspects of the linux philosophy of being able to use your computer in the way you want it.
    By removing features and locking down the interface unless you download a million different patches does not equal a good experience.
    Hell by Gnome 4 it will just be one tiny button at the top of the screen with only one feature and one has to learn every last linux command line code just to access the letter J.

If I wanted a useless user interface like that I would use something like ratpoison.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; March 6th, 2013 at 02:10 AM.

Beans

No.

If they moved to KDE, then the whole "tablet/phone/laptop" approach wouldn't be quite as good.

Also, I'm really liking Unity these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It is pretty disappointing some of the features they've taken away in Gnome for no good reason, especially with Nautilus.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It is pretty disappointing some of the features they've taken away in Gnome for no good reason, especially with Nautilus.
    In future releases Nautilus will only feature one button... a forward button in its main toolbar.
    The side panel will only feature the home directory and only a series of really complicated keyboard commands can go anywhere else such as control+alt+super+tab+right control+F1+F9+ enter all at the same time.
    All directories in the home directory will be hidden by default, the only way to navigate them is also by using wonderful keyboard commands like control+alt+super+tab+right control+U+enter.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; March 6th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Hey, I LIKE KDE. I also like Unity. I also like Xfce. None of them are perfect. If I ever find the perfect DE I'll use it.

Right now I prefer KDE, despite its busy appearance, which I have to agree is the case. But I like the direction Unity is evolving in, and I'd like to see that continue as well.

Moved to Recurring Discussions. Nothing new about should Canonical switch to another desk top
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Goff256 View Post
    If they moved to KDE, then the whole "tablet/phone/laptop" approach wouldn't be quite as good.
    What do you mean? KDE is way ahead in table etc support http://plasma-active.org/ That's already being delivered, it's not a mock up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    What do you mean? KDE is way ahead in table etc support http://plasma-active.org/ That's already being delivered, it's not a mock up.
    I didn't say it wouldn't exist, I'm pointing out that Unity is better than Plasma Active for a phone UI (and arguably a tablet).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Unity 2D used Qt, so it's not like this is the first time Canonical have done anything in it. Just because KDE uses Qt, doesn't mean that anybody who uses Qt should use KDE. There are lots of other projects that use Qt without KDE (Meego, Skype, Photoshop, etc). If Canonical thought KDE could achieve all the stuff they want to do then they wouldn't have spent all that time and money developing Unity.

I recently tried out the KDE netbook thingy on my old Eee PC and it was pretty disappointing TBH. I switched back to Unity after a couple of days.
    Sorry to hear that it was a bust for you. Out of curiosity, what is it that you were disappointed with? I have found myself continuously going back to KDE for unexplainable reasons. I just find the application base, configurability, and speed to be uncomparable to other environments. Note: My opinion is based entirely on 4.10.

But hey, there's certainly no shortage of alternatives out there. Us Linux users are so spoiled...

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Meanwhile Gnome is a small dumpy restaurant with only three foods, all of them made out of three ingredients:
    Water, ice and water ice.
    You can have ice water made with water ice, water ice made with ice water and water.

Soon in the next version they wont even use water, they will give you just the components of water (2 parts hydrogen one parts oxygen) and you have to go to another store to make it for you.
    While I'm rather agnostic about which DE I use (I'm on Gnome 3 right now), this is oddly the most accurate and semi insulting way possible to describe Gnome's mentality. They have a simple environment which is their entire goal, and I get that, it's fine and works well, but they really do strip out some ridiculously questionable features that simply shouldn't be messed with.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast