Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XFOIL with MATLAB

Beans

Re: XFOIL with MATLAB

hello azredwing,
    First of all: yes i 'm using windows.
    Secondly, i would be very interested in the scripts you told so when you finish them let us know...
    Finally what you said before isn't clear to me...How can i supply input arguments to the function ? and one more...
    what is the file " coeffs.txt " in the end of the .m file? is automatically created or should i create it ?if i have to create it what should i write in ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kazz81 View Post
    Hey azredwing,

I"m running Matlab 7.0 on window xp. and since i don't know Perl at all,
    I also have ActivePerl 5.9.9 build 519 installed, but when i copied your
    Perl code, i did it in notepad and save it as .pl

Do I need to update my matlab or anything?

Thanks in advance.
    In a MATLAB prompt, run:

Code:
    !perl -v
    What is the output?

Since you've got ActivePerl installed, you could change MATLAB's PATH to use that Perl interpreter instead of the one built-in. Upgrade to ActivePerl 5.10, then follow the directions here:

http://home.online.no/~pjacklam/matlab/doc/perl/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nikolhs View Post
    hello azredwing,
    First of all: yes i 'm using windows.
    Secondly, i would be very interested in the scripts you told so when you finish them let us know...
    Finally what you said before isn't clear to me...How can i supply input arguments to the function ? and one more...
    what is the file " coeffs.txt " in the end of the .m file? is automatically created or should i create it ?if i have to create it what should i write in ?
    The code should be run like:

Code:
    [CL, CD] = get_coeffs(alfa, Re, Ma, [NACA])
    so say I want to analyze a NACA 0021 airfoil at 3.5 degrees AoA, with a Mach number of 0.05 and a Reynolds number of 500,000:

Code:
    [CL, CD] = get_coeffs(3.5, 500000, 0.05, '0021')
    (Note that you can figure this out if you read the comments in the m-file code!)

As for coeffs.txt: don't create it. The Perl script generates this file, but for some reason the interpreter that ships with MATLAB doesn't clean it up. I end up doing it in MATLAB instead of Perl (which isn't the nicest way to do it - and I'll be cleaning this up in my next version of the code.)

Beans

it's me again...
    i have changed it :
    function [CL,CD] = get_coeffs(1, 10000, 0.3, '0012')
    but the line which incudes this gets red and it says:
    invalid syntax at '1'.Possibly, a),}, or] is missing
    parse error at ')':usage might be invalid MATLAB syntax
    so when i run it appears: un expected matlab expression... do you know what have i done wrong (again)? the values 1,10000 etc only in this line need to replace alfa,Re etc... am i wrong ?

Beans

it's me again...
    i have changed it :
    function [CL,CD] = get_coeffs(1, 10000, 0.3, '0012')
    but the line which incudes this gets red and it says:
    invalid syntax at '1'.Possibly, a),}, or] is missing
    parse error at ')':usage might be invalid MATLAB syntax
    so when i run it appears: un expected matlab expression... do you know what have i done wrong (again)? the values 1,10000 etc only in this line need to replace alfa,Re etc... am i wrong ?
    No no, do NOT adjust the code itself! You should be calling the function from MATLAB, like any other function (fsolve(), ode45(), etc)

Beans

hi,
    so i have the .m file unchanged (exactly the same with what you had attached in the first page) and i write in matlab command window :
    [CL, CD] = get_coeffs(1.0, 40000, 0.2, '0012')but then appears the following message :
    Undefined function or method 'get_coeffs' for input arguments of type 'double'.

please help... thnx

Beans

hi,
    so i have the .m file unchanged (exactly the same with what you had attached in the first page) and i write in matlab command window :
    [CL, CD] = get_coeffs(1.0, 40000, 0.2, '0012')but then appears the following message :
    Undefined function or method 'get_coeffs' for input arguments of type 'double'.

please help... thnx
    Make sure you're currently in the same folder as get_coeffs() in MATLAB, or add the folder to your PATH.

Beans

i have put in the same folder the .m file and the pl file.i have xfoil in the same path which is referred in the .pl file.what else should i do ? it appears the same message:

>> [CL, CD] = get_coeffs(1.0, 40000, 0.3, '0012')
    ??? Undefined function or method 'get_coeffs' for input arguments of type 'double'.

Beans

i have put in the same folder the .m file and the pl file.i have xfoil in the same path which is referred in the .pl file.what else should i do ? it appears the same message:

>> [CL, CD] = get_coeffs(1.0, 40000, 0.3, '0012')
    ??? Undefined function or method 'get_coeffs' for input arguments of type 'double'.
    You're SURE that the MATLAB shell is in the same directory as get_coeffs.m ? Because that's what this error message is saying... if get_coeffs.m isn't in the current folder (default view is on the left side of the screen), it won't work. If it IS, then I'm kind of stuck...

Beans

what do you mean matlab shell ? how can i be sure for this ?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast