Page 152 of 299 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2990

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by rainai2k7 View Post
    I am (was) using the old macmenu and I've "uninstalled" it (by reinstalling libgtk2). Am downloading the new global menu now... Hopefully, I'll be able to get this to work...
    About a month ago, I tried to get the new global menu to install, but I couldn't. There were issues in the instructions for installing that early build--file paths were not correct, and such.

I reported those problems in this thread--posts #1428, 1437, 1455, 1456, 1459, 1467. It seemed no one could figure out what was going wrong.

I hope these have been ironed out. I'll make sure I've fully removed the aqd patch, then try the global menu again.
    Think different...Use Mac
    Think radical...Use Linux
    Don't think...Use Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

I've tried the new global menu using the packages and guide from this site: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-glob...nstallonUbuntu

And, here is what I got:
    The Global Menu when there is no active window:

And here it is with the terminal as the active window:

As you can see, the menu I got is not very pretty. For one, it uses a different background from my panel and I can't seem to find an option to change it.

Secondly, it has these arrow buttons on each side, which, though useful in the sense that they allow for scrolling of the menu when they won't fit in the panel, I find distracting. Is there a way to hide these buttons?

Thirdly, the menu items that do appear when there's an active window are not skinned quite well to go with the rest of the panel (as you can see in the second image). It's not always like this, though. Like for gconf-editor, the menus look OK. It seems that the menu applet is using whatever look the menus have originally from their parent window.

If you compare the global menu here from my previous, older macmenu (see my previous post), the previous one looks more polished. So, I'm thinking I'd use the older macmenu. At least, until the newer global menu gets better. I'll be waiting for developments, but, till then, I'll revert to the old menu.

Thanks! And more power to the developers of this cool applet!

Rai

Edit:
    I take back what I said about the menus of the current window not skinned to go with the rest of the panel. When I removed the global menu and replaced it with a different instance, the menus became OK. However, when there is no active window, the menu still looks like the first image above. And there are still those arrow buttons. If someone can tell me how to configure the menu to hide the buttons and change the background, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by rainai2k7; January 30th, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: New findings...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

I've tried the new global menu using the packages and guide from this site: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-glob...nstallonUbuntu

And, here is what I got:
    The Global Menu when there is no active window:

And here it is with the terminal as the active window:

As you can see, the menu I got is not very pretty. For one, it uses a different background from my panel and I can't seem to find an option to change it.

Secondly, it has these arrow buttons on each side, which, though useful in the sense that they allow for scrolling of the menu when they won't fit in the panel, I find distracting. Is there a way to hide these buttons?

Thirdly, the menu items that do appear when there's an active window are not skinned quite well to go with the rest of the panel (as you can see in the second image). It's not always like this, though. Like for gconf-editor, the menus look OK. It seems that the menu applet is using whatever look the menus have originally from their parent window.

If you compare the global menu here from my previous, older macmenu (see my previous post), the previous one looks more polished. So, I'm thinking I'd use the older macmenu. At least, until the newer global menu gets better. I'll be waiting for developments, but, till then, I'll revert to the old menu.

Thanks! And more power to the developers of this cool applet!

Rai
    I also got some skinning problems with the new global menu, but I managed to have it working (can't renember how).
    The arrows will be hide-able in a next version (I think it is alreay done in the last svn revisions).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yep, looks like the old Macmenu is still the best option for most people at this point. Global just needs further development.
    Think different...Use Mac
    Think radical...Use Linux
    Don't think...Use Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    I also got some skinning problems with the new global menu, but I managed to have it working (can't renember how).
    The arrows will be hide-able in a next version (I think it is alreay done in the last svn revisions).
    Oh, OK. Thanks for the info... I hope you can remember how you fixed it and maybe you can share it here ... I'll be waiting for that revision. I'll try to look in my system if it has some configuration files (if you know if there are and where they are, please tell me) that maybe I can tweak. Also, I took back what I said about the menus not being skinned well. Well, I take that back again! (This is getting confusing... =p) Pidgin's menu is not skinned well on my system. There may be more applications with this behaviour. Also, it can't seem to display Azureus Vuze's menu. I can't see the menu in the window, but, neither can I see it in the global menu applet. So, I have no menu for Vuze at all. (The older macmenu applet didn't have this problem with Vuze.)

What I do like about this applet though is that when I remove it from my panel, the menus return to their parent windows without me having to do some tweaking/uninstalling/relogging. And that's cool!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh, OK. Thanks for the info... I hope you can remember how you fixed it and maybe you can share it here ... I'll be waiting for that revision. I'll try to look in my system if it has some configuration files (if you know if there are and where they are, please tell me) that maybe I can tweak. Also, I took back what I said about the menus not being skinned well. Well, I take that back again! (This is getting confusing... =p) Pidgin's menu is not skinned well on my system. There may be more applications with this behaviour. Also, it can't seem to display Azureus Vuze's menu. I can't see the menu in the window, but, neither can I see it in the global menu applet. So, I have no menu for Vuze at all. (The older macmenu applet didn't have this problem with Vuze.)

What I do like about this applet though is that when I remove it from my panel, the menus return to their parent windows without me having to do some tweaking/uninstalling/relogging. And that's cool!
    I guess skinning problems are a matter of gtkrc tweaking (gtk theme conf file in your ~/.themes/theme_name/gtk-2.0 directory usually) If I remind the tweak I done on a friend computer (mine still have the old macmenu) I'll share it here.
    Dunno for Vuze (I actually even dunno this app) but I think you can use :
    Code:
    export GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC="Vuze"
    in your ~/.gnomerc file (will work after only logout/in gnome)
    if it doesn't work use launch xprop in a terminal and find the CLASS name for vuze's window and in your ~/.gnomerc :
    Code:
    export GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC="class_name_of_vuze"
    In the new usefull things in global menu there are also the working keybinds (ie ALT+letter) which weren't in the old macmenu.

Beans

Hello All,

I'm really confused. I'm trying to install this on to a fresh Xubuntu 7.10 but I'm getting no where. Here's what I understand:

1. I need to patch GTK so that the menu in GTK app becomes detachable. I can't figure out how to do this.

2. I need to add an applet so that the XFCE panels can display the GTK menu.

3. Finally I need to add the applet to a XFCE panel. I guess I do this by right clicking the panel add selecting 'add applet', but the applet won't appear in the list until I've done steps 1 and 2.

Have I understood the process correctly?

Please can some one explain in clear steps how to do this? I couldn't find a page on the wiki to explain how to do this in Xubuntu/XFCE.

I must emphasis that I'm running Xubuntu/XFCE and not GNOME. There's lots of info for GNOME but very little for XFCE.

Cheers
    Benedict

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hey guys,

I'm a little late in the game obviously. I was wondering if there are packages for Feisty?

thanks
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    I guess skinning problems are a matter of gtkrc tweaking (gtk theme conf file in your ~/.themes/theme_name/gtk-2.0 directory usually) If I remind the tweak I done on a friend computer (mine still have the old macmenu) I'll share it here.
    Dunno for Vuze (I actually even dunno this app) but I think you can use :
    Code:
    export GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC="Vuze"
    in your ~/.gnomerc file (will work after only logout/in gnome)
    if it doesn't work use launch xprop in a terminal and find the CLASS name for vuze's window and in your ~/.gnomerc :
    Code:
    export GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC="class_name_of_vuze"
    In the new usefull things in global menu there are also the working keybinds (ie ALT+letter) which weren't in the old macmenu.
    I am sorry but the GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC environment is not implented in the 0.3 version. There will be a final solution for filtering different applications in version 0.4. My plan is to read in some gconf key or read some file for the different treatment of strange applications. The file can be located at user's home directory and a systemwide list will also be available. This is called Quirks. If there is enough time the Quirks files will be some XML. If there is no enough time, XML format quirks will be postponed to version 0.5.

Beans

In a very recent release we will get rid of those ugly arrows.
    It is already removed by default in the svn.

See the boxed dialog.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rainwoodman; February 1st, 2008 at 05:56 AM.

Page 152 of 299 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast