Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emacs 24

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Emacs 24

Hi

Is there an easier way than this guide http://al-ix.blogspot.com/2011/02/ge...linux-now.html to get emacs 24 running on ubuntu.

Emacs 24 has builds for windows available but I can't find any ready packages for ubuntu?
    Last edited by flebber; July 20th, 2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Solved
    The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the imagination - John Lennon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Emacs 24

Seems like a long process for an update. I've just installed 23 from the Software Centre

Quote Originally Posted by flebber View Post
    Emacs 24 has builds for windows available but I can't find any ready packages for ubuntu?
    I've searched around and there's nothing officially released yet. I'm not sure how long 23 has been out for, but something might get released soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by flebber View Post
    Hi

Is there an easier way than this guide http://al-ix.blogspot.com/2011/02/ge...linux-now.html to get emacs 24 running on ubuntu.
    If there aren't any ready-made packages for Emacs 24, then this is about as easy as it's going to get. As such, it's just a matter of following the guide and installing the program from sources.

The guide in and of itself doesn't seem to contain anything in particular that looks daunting. Ubuntu is a pretty standard Linux distribution, so the directions should work as they appear as long as you have all of the things that the guide references installed (Python, the libraries, a C compiler), which I can't imagine why you wouldn't, or can't easily.

Is there any aspects of the guide that you can't seem to get by? Perhaps getting help completing the guide is an avenue that you'd like to follow.

Beans
    Distro

No I wouldn't have too much issue following the guide I envisage, there were just a lot of packages to install and I didn't want to 'bloat' the system just to get emacs 24.

But having tried emacs 24 on windows I know its worth the upgrade so I guess I will complete the guide and report back how it goes.
    The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the imagination - John Lennon

Beans
    Distro

Solved I have emacs 24 working. There were only a couple of minor errors that affected me during the install. One I could not find these packages to install.
    Code:
    xul-ext-adblock-plus conkeror conkeror-spawn-process-helper
    and the guide missed one step going straight to ./configure, I had to use
    Code:
    sudo sh autogen.sh
    first and then was able to proceed with the compilation and make.

Beans

I followed the steps at http://al-ix.blogspot.com/2011/02/ge...linux-now.html with my natty desktop and it worked well except for a few minor discrepancies that were pretty easily figured out. I commented on that blog post with the slight differences that I found.

But today while setting up my natty laptop (installing emacs24 again) I found http://alexhenning.github.com/blog/2...s24-on-ubuntu/ which details how to get the source right from git (savannah.gnu.org) and it was much fewer steps. A lot less to install when not having to pull down the BZR repo. It too worked with just some minor discrepancies, i.e. I needed to run autoconf to create a ./configure script, install libtools, and autogen to make ./configure run without errors.

Beans

Easiest way I found was to use Damien Cassou’s emacs snapshot PPA. Instructions down to the commands to run to install here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have any real improvements been made to the program meriting updating it? Using 23 currently, it seems to function well for my purposes. Unless there are major bug squashing corrections, or vast functional improvements, do not usually upgrade functional software. Helps in keeping things simple and simple is beauty.

Beans
    Distro

Well there are a lot of minor improvements to it. The functionality for importing packages ELPA/Marmalade is better integrated and allows users easier access to including extra's into their emacs. for the theme lovers it's integrated no need to rely on color-theme.

there is a good list here http://batsov.com/articles/2011/08/1...ek-at-emacs24/

As you can see there are a lot of improvements to completion, gtk, scrolling, improvements to search and deletion when editing and a lot more.

It brings a lot of improvements making it well worth the upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thank you flebber. Upgrading to snapshot as typing here. Seems like there have been a few changes meriting the upgrade, according to what is read. S'all I really needed, "yeah, man it's more groovy now, upgrade."

Checks it out: "Nice. Need to reconfigure .emacs, but that's no drama."
    Last edited by BenB1; December 3rd, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast