Page 942 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 442842892932940941942943944952992 ... LastLast
Results 9,411 to 9,420 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Completely Linux never windows

Beans

I've started using unix in 1998. I've started using Ubuntu in 2008, at work. In 2009 I installed it on my personal laptop and use it exclusively. My desktop still has Windows but don't use it very much. I use a Playstation 3 for gaming, so no need for a Windows machine for that here. I can do everything faster and more reliably in Ubuntu. I will never install a new version of Windows...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dpechiu View Post
    I've started using unix in 1998. I've started using Ubuntu in 2008, at work.
    What kind of cool job do you have? I'm envious
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

Third year med student and just made the complete switch from mac (early 2011 MBP) --> Ringtail today. I should have done it long before now. I'm still fanagling with the wifi but I'm happy with my decision.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Good for you! I was a diehard Mac user until I discovered Linux a couple of years ago. Haven't regretted the switch to Linux at all. Love it!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    What kind of cool job do you have? I'm envious
    I'm an electrical engineer. All semiconductor design tools are unix/linux based. When you want to run a 2 week simulation, you don't want to run the risk of getting any blue screens
    Last edited by dpechiu; April 29th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dpechiu View Post
    I'm an electrical engineer. All semiconductor design tools are unix/linux based. When you want to run a 2 week simulation, you don't want to run the risk of getting any blue screens
    In fairness I found Xp to be a very stable and reliable OS (and I have been involved with all windows versions since 95). But now that Microsoft is killing it off I have made the jump myself (at home anyway).
    I'm amazed there isn't a bigger movement out there of people refreshing their old windows PCs with Linux. The shock I had at how easy it was to install, the pleasure I had at how it sped my PC up, and (for the Lubuntu desktop), how comfortable I was using it straight off.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mayoman View Post
    In fairness I found Xp to be a very stable and reliable OS (and I have been involved with all windows versions since 95). But now that Microsoft is killing it off I have made the jump myself (at home anyway).
    I'm amazed there isn't a bigger movement out there of people refreshing their old windows PCs with Linux. The shock I had at how easy it was to install, the pleasure I had at how it sped my PC up, and (for the Lubuntu desktop), how comfortable I was using it straight off.
    I echo your sentiments. I made the jump back when the whole Vista debacle was at its height, and I swore I'd never "up"grade to it, but realized I had to do something since XP's days were numbered. That prompted me to do what I'd always kind of wanted to do and switch to Linux instead. I don't regret it. But I am continually frustrated by each new release breaking sh*t that worked just fine in the previous version (or which I had managed to get working somehow in the previous version). This time around, for instance, 13.04 just isn't playing right with my nVidia graphics card and my keyboard commands (this is Xubuntu), such as alt-F2 to enter the name of a program to run, just stopped working suddenly for no apparent reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    . But I am continually frustrated by each new release breaking sh*t that worked just fine in the previous version (or which I had managed to get working somehow in the previous version).
    That is exactly why I'm sticking with 12.04. I finally have the system set up just the way I want it (again). I decided no more rides on the merry-go-round.

I have a Windows 7 laptop that the office issued for me to use. It gathers dust. (OK, I use it when I have to make a PDF since Acrobat is installed and a few people have had problems with PDFs I've made on my Ubuntu machine.)

I like to think of the Windows machine as a car I am forced to drive once in a while, while my Ubuntu machine is the one I like to joy ride in.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    But I am continually frustrated by each new release breaking sh*t that worked just fine in the previous version
    I'm always a little leery when there is an update. On my HP laptop, the blue wifi light started blinking right after an update and has never stopped. I finally put a piece of electrical tape over it. And I've noticed that it takes longer to boot now. When I first installed Lubuntu about a year & a half ago it was super fast. Don't get me wrong though, Linux is a much better system.

Page 942 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 442842892932940941942943944952992 ... LastLast