Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on older system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on older system

You will find the CD experience a little slower. Also, there may be some drivers which will not install because running on CD but will install once you're running from hard drive (wireless and graphics mostly).

So, welcome to the community! Burn some ISOs and have fun testing! Hope you find something that suits (I don't doubt you will) and hope you enjoy (and are prepared) for the learning curve. It's not unpleasant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've found that Lubuntu is a lighter weight option for older PC's and does fairly well with a Single code AMD 939 2.0 GHz and 1 GB of memory. Unity desktop and and Ubuntu is a but too much for that machine.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Hidden!

When I run Ubuntu off a CD does it write to the hard drive or handled all in memory? Don't want any effect done to the OS currently on the hard drive while testing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by anthonypineiro View Post
    When I run Ubuntu off a CD does it write to the hard drive or handled all in memory? Don't want any effect done to the OS currently on the hard drive while testing Ubuntu.
    It won't. Unless you command it to do so of course, but the live disk is intended to allow you to test Ubuntu without affecting the currently installed system(s).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Running off a CD or DVD will be slow (limited by the read speed of your ROM). From a USB Won't be as slow. Hard drive is the best option for normal use.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am recommending you to install Ubuntu with XFCE4, LXDE ot GNOME desktop enviroment, that will fit your hardware very well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by protoss96 View Post
    I am recommending you to install Ubuntu with XFCE4, LXDE ot GNOME desktop enviroment, that will fit your hardware very well.
    Can I choose the desktop environment during install or is this something that need to be done afterwards?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by anthonypineiro View Post
    Can I choose the desktop environment during install or is this something that need to be done afterwards?
    If you use Ubuntu's normal install disk, then no.
    But if you use the mini.iso, which does a netinstall, then yes you can choose which desktop you would like to use during install.

Added: It's a little more complex of an install, and requires a tad more attention than a normal install.
    Last edited by deadflowr; November 1st, 2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    If you use Ubuntu's normal install disk, then no.
    But if you use the mini.iso, which does a netinstall, then yes you can choose which desktop you would like to use during install.

Added: It's a little more complex of an install, and requires a tad more attention than a normal install.
    Awesome! With the mini.iso can I also install applications the normal install disc offers? Example firefox etc...
    Last edited by kromaz; November 1st, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

CDs represent a big performance hit. After you've picked your poison, be sure to install it to an HDD. Today SDDs are so cheap you might want to drop $100 or so and speed up the IO part of the old computer -- if the BIOS supports them. A final 2¢ worth: remember that the prettier the interface, the more power is required to drive it.
    Last edited by whitesmith; November 1st, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast