Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still having problems with new hotmail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Still having problems with new hotmail

Hi all, new hotmail doesn't work properly with linux so I took some suggestions and tried adding the useragent switcher addon which didn't work-in fact it made hotmail work less well. I couldn't even open my emails this time, whereas before I could open them but not type in the main text field on a new message. Then, from another suggestion, I tried going to about:config and changing the general.useragent.vendor from Ubuntu to Firefox. This did nothing, but when I went back into about:config it had automatically changed itself back to Ubuntu. Either this method doesn't work at all, or I need to find a way to make it stay saying Firefox (or firefox with lower case 'f', whichever one works!). Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Beans

Re: Still having problems with new hotmail

I don't know the answer, but have you tried to use hotmail with Opera? That might work(?).

And just asking; why use Hotmail when Gmail is so much better and woks perfect with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yup, tried Opera, doesn't work with that either! Cheers anyway. I wanted to stay on hotmail because I have a lot of emails I wanted to save, and going through them all and picking them out would take absolutely forever. It looks like I'm going to have to admit defeat and switch to gmail anyway. Lots of hassle with telling everyone and setting up contact list though!

Beans

You can transfer all your mails from Hotmail to Gmail if you want, even store them in a folder(perhaps called "old hotmails"), and its fast to do.

And I think its possible to forward mails from Hotmail to Gmail.
    Lots of hassle with telling everyone and setting up contact list though!
    Agree!

Beans

Try Microsoft internet explorer 6. You can install it easily in linux using ies4linux.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...llation:Ubuntu

Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatz View Post
    Try Microsoft internet explorer 6. You can install it easily in linux using ies4linux.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...llation:Ubuntu

Yes, be a good boy. That's exactly what MS want you to do and this is why they have introduced incompatibilities, so be a good boy and install IE. Since that probably won't work as smoothly under Linux (eg. will ignore the system theme) you should actually replace Linux by Windows. Then you will have no problems any more.

I really don't understand how people allow themselves to be pushed around like that as customers. At this point I wouldn't care, how long it takes me to tell everybody about my new email address, I would just do it. You can just open a gmail account and migrate slowly. Simply set up email forwarding and reply to all the emails from the gmail account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Idefix82 View Post
    Yes, be a good boy. .
    I'm not a boy......

Seriously though, thanks for the advice from everyone. Especially how to transfer stuff from hotmail. People on this forum are lovely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic_fruitcake View Post
    I'm not a boy......
    Sorry, didn't mean to be sexist

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Idefix82 View Post
    Yes, be a good boy. That's exactly what MS want you to do and this is why they have introduced incompatibilities, so be a good boy and install IE. Since that probably won't work as smoothly under Linux (eg. will ignore the system theme) you should actually replace Linux by Windows. Then you will have no problems any more.

I really don't understand how people allow themselves to be pushed around like that as customers. At this point I wouldn't care, how long it takes me to tell everybody about my new email address, I would just do it. You can just open a gmail account and migrate slowly. Simply set up email forwarding and reply to all the emails from the gmail account.
    LOL

If it works it works! I use linux as well as xp, i prefer linux but if you want to use a microsoft service you will have to except the inevitable, that you will probably have to use microsoft software (or hack).

Get GMAIL!
    Hmmm...

Beans

Just noticed that your from Cambridge lol.

Student?
    Hmmm...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast