Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu for motionally disabled people?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu for motionally disabled people?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Couper View Post
    Just a small clarification --

Dasher, ..., can indeed output text directly to any application if the user chooses.
    Could you please tell us how to do it?

Indeed the documenttation talks about "beaming text into a window", but I am not able to find how to do it with dasher 4.4.1 shipped with Ubuntu Feisty.

Francesco

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frafu View Post
    Could you please tell us how to do it?

Indeed the documenttation talks about "beaming text into a window", but I am not able to find how to do it with dasher 4.4.1 shipped with Ubuntu Feisty.

Francesco
    Indeed, Francesco, the latest version of Dasher has changed! I had time yesterday to take only a cursory look but I couldn't figure it out, either. I think I was just missing something because to lose such a feature would seem strange indeed. I will investigate further and post back here as soon as I can. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

On 21 November, 2006 I posted to the Yahoo Groups Dasher "group" the following, which went unanswered:

There is an error in the documentation. Can someone please tell me
    how to submit a correction? I will detail below. If it has been
    submitted or if someone will do so from this, that's fine.

The latest version of Dasher has a change in Options not reflected in
    the help file. What used to be called "Send text to other window" is
    now under Preferences->View->Application Style (Windows) or, under
    Linux, Edit->Preferences->Application->Application Style.

Regards

Bruce Couper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Indeed, Francesco, the latest version of Dasher has changed! I had time yesterday to take only a cursory look but I couldn't figure it out, either. I think I was just missing something because to lose such a feature would seem strange indeed. I will investigate further and post back here as soon as I can. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    Indeed, it would probably be quite strange if they removed it. (I say probably because I have never used it and consequently don't know how it worked.)

On the other hand, if it is still there, maybe the design of the preference window should be reconsidered...

Francesco

Beans

Indeed, it would probably be quite strange if they removed it. (I say probably because I have never used it and consequently don't know how it worked.)

On the other hand, if it is still there, maybe the design of the preference window should be reconsidered...

Francesco
    Francesco, it does indeed seem this feature is not now in the 4.4.2 version in the repositories. Unfortunately, I must run Windows because I must use speech recognition but the computer I'm accessing with VNC, running feisty, I can experiment with. The man page for Dasher includes "-o” as the switch to output text to a window with focus but starting Dasher with that switch fails -- the switch is seen as a filename!

I will make inquiries as time permits. If anyone wishes to try installing an older version the following link points to the edgy version:

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/Download.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello Bruce,

I must run Windows because I must use speech recognition but the computer I'm accessing with VNC, running feisty, I can experiment with.
    I am also running ubuntu remotely through vnc and through the free edition of nx, which is faster. This is offtopic, but if you don't mind, could you also try nx, because I always get the message that assistive technology could not be started at login. This would confirm the bug that I just filed against at-spi:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pi/+bug/117995

If you decide to try nx, you have to download the nxclient, the nxnode and the nxserver (free edition) and install them in that order. You can find them here:
    http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

In any case, many thanks.

Francesco
    Last edited by frafu; May 31st, 2007 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

unappropriate comment deleted by frafu
    Last edited by frafu; May 31st, 2007 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

Hello Bruce,

I am also running ubuntu remotely through vnc and through the free edition of nx, which is faster. This is offtopic, but if you don't mind, could you also try nx, because I always get the message that assistive technology could not be started at login. This would confirm the bug that I just filed against at-spi:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pi/+bug/117995

If you decide to try nx, you have to download the nxclient, the nxnode and the nxserver (free edition) and install them in that order. You can find them here:
    http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

In any case, many thanks.

Francesco
    Thank you for the suggestion, Francesco. I will indeed try nx as time permits and mu such discussion to another thread or forum is appropriate (it may well still be accessibility-related).

I have posted to Launchpad a question about Dasher, about the missing feature, and I am open to suggestions about where else we may post a query.

In the meantime the program will remain useful to many with only the additional step necessary of copying all text and pasting to another window but for anyone for whom this would be difficult the missing feature does limit its utility.

Regards

Bruce Couper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have posted to Launchpad a question about Dasher, about the missing feature, and I am open to suggestions about where else we may post a query.
    Have you already looked at this page on Dasher's website. It tells you where get more information.

Particularly, to ask for missing feature in Dasher, you should go to gnome's bugzilla. Do a search for what you what, and if it is not already filed, you should start a Request For Enhancement Bug to ask for the missing feature. You should begin the title of your bug with the keyword RFE (e.g.: "RFE: Beam text to front window"); so the developer immediately know that it is a request.

Have a nice day.

Beans

Have you already looked at this page on Dasher's website. It tells you where get more information.

Particularly, to ask for missing feature in Dasher, you should go to gnome's bugzilla. Do a search for what you what, and if it is not already filed, you should start a Request For Enhancement Bug to ask for the missing feature. You should begin the title of your bug with the keyword RFE (e.g.: "RFE: Beam text to front window"); so the developer immediately know that it is a request.

Have a nice day.
    Thank you! I will indeed follow up on this as soon as possible. My time is limited and I do want to check a couple of other things so if anyone else wishes to post first please just leave a note here.

Regards

Bruce Couper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12