Thread: Need to move window to new workspace several (uncreated) workspaces away

Beans

Need to move window to new workspace several (uncreated) workspaces away

I am running 12.04 with gnome-shell at the desktop manager. When I forst log in I want to launch a couple of windows and move one of them to a workspace that hasn't been created yet. Just as an example, say I log in, and open a terminal and firefox. I do some things, and want to move firefox to workspace 3 for instance, but workspace 3 isn't yet created because there isn't anything yet in workspace 2.

I would like to be able to CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+[down] through the empty workspace into workspace 3, or 4, or 5, or wherever I want to put the window. As it sits now, gnome won't allow for an empty workspace in the middle.

How do I change the behavior?

Thanks,
    -J

Beans

Re: Need to move window to new workspace several (uncreated) workspaces away

up

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    I would like to be able to CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+[down] through the empty workspace into workspace 3, or 4, or 5, or wherever I want to put the window. As it sits now, gnome won't allow for an empty workspace in the middle.
    Gnome-shell implements "dynamic workspaces". Why on earth would you want to create an empty workspace which you would have to "jump over" every time? You should not think it terms of hard-coded workspace numbers, just create them relatively as you need them.

Like a few things in gnome-shell, the concept takes a little getting used to but I now prefer this approach to the traditional workspace scheme (which Unity largely still uses).

Beans

having an empty workspace is not the point. The empty workspace is filled in about step 6 of my login process. There is a ritual I need to go through to authenticate to wireless, vpn, set up static routes to split tunnel, before I can start email/terminals and begin to work. The empty space gets filled, its just that step 1 requires firefox to authenticate to wireless, and I don't want firefox on screen 1... ever.

I understand teh point of dynamic workspaces, and you're right, it did take some getting used to, but I do love it. I just need a little more flexability.

-J