Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    Distro-hoppers, how is Debian looking these days?
    Debian's fine.

Beans

For me the move to QT is a good thing, I mean QT is no longer fully closed source and is freely used in KDE/ Razor QT
    Plus QT apps in general are way better then GTK ones.

Beans

Developing a display server is one thing. Getting 20+ years of applications to suddenly be compatible with it is what takes time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Somewhat related question here: If Unity transfers to Qt/qml will Ubuntu then see a default software shift as well, I'm thinking Rhythmbox --> Amarok?
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Developing a display server is one thing. Getting 20+ years of applications to suddenly be compatible with it is what takes time.
    I think this is the main reason for this move, after all QT is a long established toolkit and its incredibly flexible (thus why Nokia took interest in it, in hopes of using it for mobile technology)
    So why use a untried untested thing like wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    Somewhat related question here: If Unity transfers to Qt/qml will Ubuntu then see a default software shift as well, I'm thinking Rhythmbox --> Amarok?
    I hope so as that may lead to dolphin being default in Ubuntu, a file manager eleventy billion times better then nutalus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post

Most applications have nothing to do with X. They are dependant on the toolkit (Qt & Gtk). Once you port the toolkits to Mir, almost all the applications will automatically be compatible. The few applications that use X directly, will be supported by launching rootless X session.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by addegsson View Post
    Qt is superior to GTK.
    I've heard this said before. I've also heard the argument go the other direction as well with people voting on GTK being superior. While I am admittedly not a developer by any means, I do have to question what it is exactly that makes Qt superior to GTK. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to desktop environments, and I've tested out Gnome Shell 3.6, the latest Unity, and KDE 4.10 pretty extensively for a few weeks each. Judging entirely on the outside and overall workings of the environments and software, there is absolutely no contest that Gnome Shell feels the easiest to use out of the gate, much more polished, and rather configurable given the array of available extensions as opposed to KDE and Unity. Not to say something like KDE isn't configurable, it's easily the most configurable hands down, but there's just so much stuff *everywhere* that I feel like it needs to be toned down a bit. I also wasn't impressed with the continual plasma crash every time I shut down the computer... But perhaps that's another story.

My findings may be entirely preferential and apply only to me and nobody else, but I do have to honestly question from an unbiased standpoint how something supposedly "inferior" can still look and feel superior in every way. Sure you can polish a dog turd and you still have a dog turd in the end, but I can say even as a KDE lover that I've certainly had less issues in GTK land than any Qt oriented land I've spent time in. My 2c.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I also wasn't impressed with the continual plasma crash every time I shut down the computer...
    Plasma is supposed to crash, bro. KDE fans like it this way. ;)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Canonical's Mir Project Retracts Wayland Criticism
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxODY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IMO?
    About effin time. Regardless of what happens, this undertaking is huge and I have great hopes for it. If any one has ever had any incentive for getting the ball rolling, and the means to do so, is Canonical and Ubuntu.

Hopefully, this will mean that Unity can actually turn into a really fast and fluid experience instead of suffering the limitations in which it's stuck with now.
    For all purposes, X is all good and wonderful, but something better is needed for the future.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast