Thread: [SOLVED] No Fonts:/// in Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[SOLVED] No Fonts:/// in Hardy Heron

I've recently upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy. In Gutsy it was possible to drag and drop new fonts into Fonts:/// It doesn't seem to exist in Hardy.
    How do I install additional fonts ? I already have the msttcorefonts installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No Fonts:/// in Hardy Heron

copy the font into ~/.fonts, then open a terminal and do
    Code:
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    Ubuntu user #11075
    Howto: AwesomeWM (OUTDATED) || My BitBucket Page || My deviantArt page
    If you find a post helpful, click the medal icon to give thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    ... wallpaper is a tiling of the opera icons.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately I dont seem to have a ~/.fonts directory, only a ~/.fontconfig directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you can make it - it will automatically get searched when you do fc-cache -fv.
    Ubuntu user #11075
    Howto: AwesomeWM (OUTDATED) || My BitBucket Page || My deviantArt page
    If you find a post helpful, click the medal icon to give thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    ... wallpaper is a tiling of the opera icons.

Beans

alternatively you can coppy the font files to a custom directory in /usr/share/fonts

make a directory there and put your fonts in there, after that while still inside the directory do

sudo mkfontdir
    sudo mkfontscale
    sudo fc-cache -fv

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shearn89 View Post
    you can make it - it will automatically get searched when you do fc-cache -fv.
    Thanks for that - all is fine in the land of fonts...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbert View Post
    Thanks for that - all is fine in the land of fonts...
    Only - it used to be possible for a user to add their favorite fonts to their own account without bothering the administrator... OK, I know most of us are our own sysadmins. But. But but but... Ubuntu does get deployed where the user is not the sysadmin.

Surely this is something that should be possible as a normal user? Or did I miss something?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bridge View Post
    Only - it used to be possible for a user to add their favorite fonts to their own account without bothering the administrator... OK, I know most of us are our own sysadmins. But. But but but... Ubuntu does get deployed where the user is not the sysadmin.

Surely this is something that should be possible as a normal user? Or did I miss something?
    Just put them in ~/.fonts and rerun fc-cache. That's all the fonts:// backend used to do. We didn't feel the need to recode fonts and themes because they're not real backends anyways, they'll never support the kinds of operations that other backends support, and they're very narrowly defined to only working with a certain subset of files. (We should probably close the bug I filed on this WONTFIX, but.. *shrug*)

It would be better for GNOME and its users if we coded a new font utility that did the above and allowed for installing fonts system-wide with PolicyKit, but this hasn't been done yet. I may do it for GNOME 2.24 if I can find time (or someone pays me, ping Shuttleworth ), as it's a frequent frustration of mine too. (And yes, I'm a developer, yes I love GUIs, and no, that is not weird).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: No Fonts:/// in Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Awalton View Post
    Just put them in ~/.fonts and rerun fc-cache.
    Yeah - just found out and came back here to fill everyone in.

It seems almost everybody (else) talking about this is sticking the "sudo" in front. Users could be excused for thinking that it was required.

Thanks for the great reply though...

---------------------------------------------
    There is always someone new, so this bears repeating:

It is tempting to copy over all your Win and OSX fonts from that other partition so you can use them under gnuLinux. After all, you paid for them, right?

Well... no. You rented them. When you rented them, you agreed to some restrictions. So you should read your licenses. It is unlikely that you have been granted the right to use those fonts outside that particular install of that particular OS.

Yes yes I know - it seems everybody is ignoring these restrictions. However, when you break a rule, it is a good idea to know you are doing it. (Especially as you clicked something saying you read the contract: ignorance won't get you off.)

(The are MS Fonts in repos - these are the old Web fonts which have their own restrictions.)

Even with those ttf fonts you download there can be unexpected restrictions. Usually they are "free for personal use" or "non commercial". These are fine to use provided you understand that these terms usually restrict you from sharing your font-packages. (They do not give you distribution rights).

Worth thinking about before you zip a few dozen fonts to hand around your friends.

The odds are overwhelmingly against you being sued... unless you end up doing something significant and attracting attention. Maybe your enterprise gets sold for a cool bill? Then someone notices that you wrote your hardcopy documentation with a restricted font... then it is discovered you've been doing this lots since you were a teenager...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[QUOTE=Awalton;4960971]Just put them in ~/.fonts and rerun fc-cache. That's all the fonts:// backend used to do.

I tried this and still no ttfs in OpenOffice.
    I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.1 on a Dell 1525 Laptop.
    The Truly Educated Never Graduate!
    One Desktop & Two Dell 1525n Laptops - Multi-boot Xubuntu 11.11 & others.
    Don't Fear the Penguin!
    Registered Linux User #507530 & Ubuntu User # 30733