Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux's heyday for desktop and laptop was January 2020.

Beans

Re: Linux's heyday for desktop and laptop was January 2020.

The fact remains that the general public does not care about GNU / Linux, I am not wrong. I repeat, there is a world between a debian and an ubuntu, in this sense Canonical, does a very good job: from Apple, minus the prices. But despite everything, Linux remains a geek territory, a territory that deserves this through the necessary self-training, because if there is indeed a subject never discussed with the libriste: it is training. I'm going to do my veteran, but twenty years ago it was very easy to train through the OReilly books (published in France as is). In recent years, this is less the case, I find

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well look at it this this way. in the 80's it was hard to find someone with computer. most of us over her had those house computers like spectrum or C64. the guy i know had to drive 2000km to buy a PC and he spent a fortune for it. then in 90s, people kind of new about DOS and windows started to appear and suddenly with icons it was easy for everyone to use a PC. well kind of. login to internet was still quite geeky. only few would go study computer science. fast forward 10 years oir so and everyone had to use PC in uni. those that didn't know how had to learn. 10 more years and many people carries one in the pocket and most of them powered by linux with android desktop on it. i said linux, because i installed terminal and tried a few commands for services i know and they are indeed the same as on desktop. so what is geeky now might not be in the future. it all depends how it's packaged and how easy it is for people to use. in my opinion if MS made office for linux a lot more people would come and if casual gamers move over we might be on to something.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I was introduced to computer science at school at a young age with French equivalences of ZX80, so BASIC, I saw. I bought my first PC at the end of the 90's in the midst of Microsoft's hegemony and switched to Linux. Yes, Linux is everywhere and nowhere and that is great, but the education is not, as well for the kids as for the parents The criticism also applies to Europe. But it is up to mothers to give a taste to science and computing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    … powered by linux with android desktop on it. i said linux, because i installed terminal and tried a few commands for services…
    That's correct, Android runs on Linux. But many of the Linux commands are shared with its sister, Unix, so if you tried them on Unix, you might find the same success!

Here are the most popular OS systems, excluding Linux and Unix themselves:

System Runs on…
    Android Linux
    Chromium OS Linux
    Chrome OS (Chromebook) Linux
    BSD-derivatives (e.g. FreeBSD) Unix
    iOS Unix
    Mac Unix
    Windows Proprietary mixture; originally MS-DOS
    I might have missed a couple of important systems, but essentially nearly all systems run on one of the two sisters.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Yes, Linux would not exist without UNIX, which had the bad idea of this balkanized, of this proprietarized, to make this eat, piece, by piece by a free and free UNIX compatible, I like this irony

Beans

But isn't Android based on the Linux kernel?
    Which means that most people are actually using Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post
    But isn't Android based on the Linux kernel?
    Which means that most people are actually using Linux.
    well the kernel is linux (modified) and Andorid is added on it. the issue is a bit with licences.

but anyway we could say it is quite similar to our desktops only with touch interface. on the other hand it's not.

most people are using Linux one way or another, they just don't know it. TV, inflight entertainment, digital car apps /interface, "Smart TV", "Smart Phones", Smart kitchen appliances, Facebook and Google stuff, Play Station (actually they use BSD).... often somewhere deeps inside linux is buried and people use it without know it. just like the new HarmonyOS from Huawei - hard to get the SDK, but if you are approved (and all your bases are belong to them) and if you do get it you will find out it is actually Android OS with all adroid stuff replaced by Harmony OS. they went to great lengths to hide it and there is no mentioning of this Google owned OS and in fact they even lie that they created completely new operating system.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Due to all of the groundwork that was done by organizations like the GNU, the Free Software Foundation, and open source projects, most Linux distributions will stick around for a long time.

Community driven distributions will continue throughout the years. The need for different software, such as new drivers, technological advancements, and the like, are all continuously maintained by these communities. Even though a company like Canonical is the primary reason we have Ubuntu is the "community" aspect of it.

Linux will always be around, as long as we have people who want it.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123