Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum member count vs time?

Beans

Forum member count vs time?

Hi,

I was wondering if records still exist for how many forum members there were here on a given date all the way back to the beginning. And if so, if it would be easy to compile the data and show a "forum # vs time" graph.

Just thought it would be interesting to see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Forum member count vs time?

The greatest number of simultaneous users was 24125, on 4/25/2008. The "active users" count (the number of distinct accounts with activity in the past 30 days) was only added with the newest version of vBulletin, so probably isn't all that useful for overall records.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

It occurs to me now that what I want should actually be quite simple, and that I explained it badly in my first post.

I would just like to see total number of members vs time. Everyone has an ID# tagged to their account and a join date. So if I just could see who joined on September 30 2006, for example, I could just look at their ID# and see how many forum members there were on that date.

For instance, on Jan 28, 2008 the forums got its 487459th member. I got that by just randomly picking a name from the active users list at the bottom of the main page. This info for each day (or week, or month) is what I want.

Edit: I realize many people signed up and then left forever, but I'm willing to put that in the error analysis (i.e. ignore).
    Last edited by kanem; June 11th, 2008 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I did this for myself when hardy was released and we hit new top users numbers and online record. But I did not keep it, nor did I keep the data or the posts where I found them.
    We were not half way to an exponential curve, so there is room for increase. I should have kept the data..
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I did this for myself when hardy was released and we hit new top users numbers and online record. But I did not keep it, nor did I keep the data or the posts where I found them.
    We were not half way to an exponential curve, so there is room for increase. I should have kept the data..
    I've already started collecting the data. Just by month for now though. I'll post the results when I finish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by kanem View Post
    I've already started collecting the data. Just by month for now though. I'll post the results when I finish.
    Great idea! Should be interesting.

Beans

Here are two graphs. The upper is forum # vs month. I had planned to do by week (or even day) but that would take way too long. I suppose that if the backend of this forum is some kind of SQL it would be trivial for someone with access to extract this info.

Anyway, it's clearly exponential for now. The line is a fit. Using higher order polynomials didn't improve the fit for some reason, so the equation is pretty simple and is included in the graph. There should be over 1 million members in about a year if this continues.

The lower graph is the increase in members in a month vs time. The peaks indicate approximate release dates. It's at 25,000 new members per month now. Wow.

I've included a spreadsheet with the data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kanem; June 12th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by kanem View Post
    Here are two graphs. The upper is forum # vs month. I had planned to do by week (or even day) but that would take way too long. I suppose that if the backend of this forum is some kind of SQL it would be trivial for someone with access to extract this info.

Anyway, it's clearly exponential for now. The line is a fit. Using higher order polynomials didn't improve the fit for some reason, so the equation is pretty simple and is included in the graph. There should be over 1 million members in about a year if this continues.

The lower graph is the increase in members in a month vs time. The peaks indicate approximate release dates. It's at 25,000 new members per month now. Wow.

I've included a spreadsheet with the data.
    Great work! Amazing stats.

Do you happen to know the month and year the forum started?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Do you happen to know the month and year the forum started?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=about

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks kanem, really nicely done.
    May be it can be fitted with a saturation curve (a S-shaped curve for ex.).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast