Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canonical has root to everyone's ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Canonical has root to everyone's ubuntu?

Oh, yeah I forgot this thread is about Canonical and root, huh?
    Well if you don't want 'em to have root, don't use their repository system.
    Probably disable or remove apport and any other program that makes contact with the servers.
    Then you should be good to go.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think it was an offhand comment by Mark. In one of his blog post he said any publicity whether good or bad is better than indifference, one of the things that Canonical/Ubuntu/Mark is very good at is getting publicity. Anyone that is even the slightest bit geeky has heard about Ubuntu.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    don't use their repository system.
    Probably disable or remove apport and any other program that makes contact with the servers.
    You still have to trust their binaries though. Speaking of which, it seems nobody among those who replied me ITT does even know what Gentoo is. That's too sad. Oh well, probably I should have said "a source-based distro" instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is losing its ubuntu? stuff isn't as stable as it used to be.. amazon search lens.. mir instead of wayland.. nautilus is uglyfied in 13.04.. Well that isnt that long a list is it?

On the up side 13.04 is much much faster for me both in operation and boot times (halved at least) and its just going to get better from here onwards (hopefully). Sure hope we get unity on wayland for 14.04
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; August 21st, 2013 at 05:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Traxster View Post
    Is 100% of Ubuntu Source Code Open Source? Is there anything that we can't see? Or is the OP paranoid?
    Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I go along with what ian-weisser wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxster View Post
    Why would I go with that answer when it has nothing to do with my question?
    Pardon me, but you actually asked three questions, and I do believe that ian-weisser's post was relevant with respect to the third question -- as well as being on-topic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboysmithy View Post
    Ubuntu is losing its ubuntu? stuff isn't as stable as it used to be.. amazon search lens.. mir instead of wayland.. nautilus is uglyfied in 13.04.. Well that isnt that long a list is it?

On the up side 13.04 is much much faster for me both in operation and boot times (halved at least) and its just going to get better from here onwards (hopefully). Sure hope we get unity on wayland for 14.04
    What do you mean by "stable"? It can be broken and stable, because a system that doesn't work or broken is stable if it stays broken and not working. On the other hand I don't find the recent releases to be more buggy (well except maybe 11.10). Go read some old posts about old releases. Nautilus is gnome's doing, you are barking up the wrong tree. Mir instead of Wayland, I remember the hue and cry when Shuttleworth announced switching to Wayland a few years ago, why suddenly the love of Wayland?

I do agree the Amazon lens is a bad move, it shouldn't be enabled by default. If it is disabled by default it would satisfy most critics except RMS
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 21st, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    What do you mean by "stable"? It can be broken and stable, because a system that doesn't work or broken is stable if it stays broken and not working.
    LOL, we had a car like that once.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What do you mean by "stable"? It can be broken and stable, because a system that doesn't work or broken is stable if it stays broken and not working. On the other hand I don't find the recent releases to be more buggy (well except maybe 11.10).
    Point being I've had waaay too many gpu hangs on my intel i5 2410m integrated gpu. Not exactly what I would call stable.
    Go read some old posts about old releases. Nautilus is gnome's doing, you are barking up the wrong tree.
    Sorry about that. Point taken. I sure hope they wont leave it like that.
    Mir instead of Wayland, I remember the hue and cry when Shuttleworth announced switching to Wayland a few years ago, why suddenly the love of Wayland?
    The problem I see with mir is summed by Ericg pretty well
    GPLv3 requires users be able to replace GPLv3 code if they would like... thats an issue on mobile and is considered VERY anti-carrier. If they can get hardware manufacturers on board thats fine, but few carriers will like the idea of their users screwing with the software.

The CLA is very anti-opensource because it means that if you submit a patch to Unity or Mir that you have to assign copyright to Canonical. Since Canonical is the only copyright holder it means they can release, for example, version 1.6 of Mir, and then make 1.7 and forward closed source. They can never take away the sources for 1.0 -> 1.6, but they can make any future development closed source.

This is anti-developer because many open source devs will only submit to projects that they know ARE open source and will REMAIN open source, the CLA makes it so it IS open source now... and it MAYBE will be open source in the future.
    Quoted from: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...162#post337162
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; August 21st, 2013 at 06:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Pardon me, but you actually asked three questions, and I do believe that ian-weisser's post was relevant with respect to the third question -- as well as being on-topic.

I don't see any relevance to my "third question" as you put it. Sorry,

however, deadflowr provided the answer I was looking for

traxster
    Last edited by Traxster; August 21st, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboysmithy View Post
    Ubuntu is losing its ubuntu? stuff isn't as stable as it used to be..
    "Stability" comes from a marriage of software and hardware. In my experience, hardware can be at fault as much as software, if not more. I never understood why people think software is always at fault. I've bought a lot of things over the years that had faulty hardware. I think more things can go wrong on the hardware side of things than software, just because the tolerances needed to produce perfect hardware is mind blowing. I'm amazed computers work at all, considering how many hardware components need to work together to get good results. With software, 1's and 0's can be manipulated easily regardless of what hardware is used.

Anyway, Ubuntu works great and stable for me, and always has. But I always make sure to have good/compatible equipment. I couldn't be any happier with Ubuntu.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast