Thread: Unity in Fuduntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unity in Fuduntu

hello all,

i was wondering if you can install unity in fuduntu. pretty simple

if it is necessary, fuduntu is based on fedora, and already has gnome 2 on it.

thank you for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Unity in Fuduntu

We currently do not support Unity and we don't have any plans to support it either. Sorry
    Last edited by FuturePilot; March 30th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu + Unity is based upon Gnome 3 Desktop Environment. So, it is not just a matter of installing a few Unity packages. Ubuntu and its components are open source. So, there is nothing to stop a developer from taking the code and modifying it. I doubt very much if it would be easy to get Unity working on Ubuntu that is built on Gnome 2. And you want to try it on a distribution based upon Fedora which uses the RPM packaging method and not the Debian packaging method used by Ubuntu.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I highly doubt that any other Linux distro that isn't already Ubuntu based will ever adopt Unity. Unity relies on a lot of HEAVILY modified library files that the Ubuntu developer's themselves maintain and would probably be more trouble than it's worth for say a Fedora or SUSE based distro to adopt it. At least as it is now. That might change if they actually re-write it in QT as I keep hearing might/will (?) eventually happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by neruson View Post
    I highly doubt that any other Linux distro that isn't already Ubuntu based will ever adopt Unity.
    I know for sure that Unity is available for Arch Linux as I've used it myself.
    AFAIK there are a few other distros that have it as well, although I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I know for sure that Unity is available for Arch Linux as I've used it myself.
    AFAIK there are a few other distros that have it as well, although I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.
    I was talking more of official adoption ie. added to the distro's official repos. It's a third party, unsupported repo under Arch. While I'm not a huge fan of Unity (I don't hate it by any means) I still do hope it's gets in more distribution's repos eventually. Some people obviously really like it, and more choice is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by neruson View Post
    I was talking more of official adoption ie. added to the distro's official repos. It's a third party, unsupported repo under Arch. While I'm not a huge fan of Unity (I don't hate it by any means) I still do hope it's gets in more distribution's repos eventually. Some people obviously really like it, and more choice is a good thing.
    The problem that Unity, and along with it all of Canonical's code has is that to contribute to it you have to sign a contributor agreement that gives Ubuntu all rights to any code you push upstream. That is the largest contributing factor to why we wouldn't consider adopting it, Mir, or anything else owned by Canonical.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought it was because Unity relied on a heavily modified and deprecated version of glib (guess I was wrong about that). I don't think I would sign something like that either. Seems like Canonical doesn't really want anyone else using their code.