Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elementary theme and Ubuntu Maverick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Elementary theme and Ubuntu Maverick

Hi,

Apologies if I've not posted this in the correct section. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Maverick testing forum, or the general help forum as my questions relate to a theme that is installable from a non-default repository.

Anyway, I've made a fresh install of 10.10RC today, after encountering too many problems with Lucid. I've mostly figured everything out now, except a few things with the Elementary theme which is available from https://launchpad.net/~elementaryart/+archive/ppa

The first thing that I've noticed is that my scroll bars no longer have clickable arrows on them so that I can scroll by small increments. I now am only able to scroll by dragging the scroll bar to where I want it, or by pressing page up/page down. Does anybody know whether this is the intended default behaviour, or has something gone wrong?

The second issue that I've found is that the selectable statuses in the indicator applet session for pidgin appear to be the ugly clearlooks ones. This didn't happen in Lucid. Is this an intended change, or have I got something missing on my system?

The elementary packages that I have got installed are: elementary-theme, elementary-icon-theme and elementary-wallpapers. I've attached a screen shot below of the ugly clearlooks status icons in the indicator applet session.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Elementary theme and Ubuntu Maverick

If the theme has caused this grief, why don't you remove it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    If the theme has caused this grief, why don't you remove it?
    I am free to remove it, should I wish to. I quite like the theme, as it is easy on my eyes. As it is quite a popular theme, I am posting here to see whether anybody else has noticed these issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Anybody?

Beans
    Hidden!

Budoc,

I can certainly appreciate your dilemma. The Elementary theme is indeed quite nice. Dan Rabbit on Deviantart mentioned that the intention of the thin/small scroll bar and slider in Elementary is to provide a visual queue as to your position in a document, and so it was not intended to be used for navigation.

Although I'm sure many users appreciate the simplicity of the scroll bar approach the talented folks at Elementary have taken, some of us actually do use the scroll bar. As one person on another forum pointed out, the scroll bar is very useful to grab and quickly slide to a section of a long document, without having to rotate your mouse's scroll wheel numerous times.

In addition to the scroll bar being very small and thin, the scroll bar is completely missing in OpenOffice.org, while using the Elementary theme. (Dan stipulated that this is an OpenOfffice bug).

Nevertheless, for those of us who want a more substantial scroll bar, we are free to modify our code to suit our needs-- which is the beauty of OpenSource!

Here is what I did to remedy both situations...

Edit the gtkrc file for the elementary theme.
    Code:
    $ gksudo gedit /usr/share/themes/elementary/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
    Replace:
    Code:
    GtkRange		::slider-width				= 8
    With:
    Code:
    GtkRange		::slider-width				= 10
    Replace:
    Code:
    GtkScrollbar		::has-backward-stepper 			= 0
    GtkScrollbar		::has-forward-stepper			= 0
    With:
    Code:
    GtkScrollbar		::has-backward-stepper 			= 1
    GtkScrollbar		::has-forward-stepper			= 1
    Replace:
    Code:
    GtkScrolledWindow	::scrollbars-within-bevel		= 1
    With:
    Code:
    GtkScrolledWindow	::scrollbars-within-bevel		= 0
    Finally, replace the entire scroll bar definition:
    Code:
    style "murrine-scrollbar"
    {
    }
    With:
    Code:
    {

fg[PRELIGHT]				= @selected_fg_color
    	fg[SELECTED]				= @selected_fg_color
    	fg[ACTIVE]				= @fg_color
    	fg[INSENSITIVE]				= darker (@bg_color)

bg[SELECTED]				= shade (0.90, @selected_bg_color)

engine "murrine"
    	{
    		contrast			= 0.5
    		roundness			= 3
    		lightborderstyle		= 1
    	}
    }
    Save gtkrc and exit gedit. Now log out, and log back in. You should have usable scroll bars that match the Elementary color scheme and fit reasonably well with the theme's concept of minimalism and simplicity. Also OpenOffice.org documents will now have working scroll bars.

I have attached a couple of screen shots so you can see the results.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks very much PJSingh5000! I'll give it a go. I wasn't sure if the missing scroll arrows were a design decision, or just a bug. Either way, I now know how to customize it myself, thanks to your very useful instructions.

Do you have any idea why I am getting clearlooks-looking icons in the indicator applet session? Is this a problem with the elementary-icon-theme package supplied with Maverick? If I change the icon theme used to anything but elementary or elementary-monochrome, the icons used in the indicator applet session menu change. Is the elementary-icon-theme package in Maverick missing some icons?

Attached is a picture of an open indicator applet session with elementary-monochrome icons. The icon for invisible on the panel is fine (a light grey speech bubble), but this doesn't match with the drop down menu (a silver pentagon). In Lucid, the icons in the drop down menu matched the icons that were displayed on the panel.

Beans
    Hidden!

Budoc,

You're welcome.

I don't know why the icon's are from ClearLooks. My guess is that elementary does not have icons for these (????). I used to use Kubuntu Lucid, so I didn't even know it was different in Ubuntu Maverick vs. Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by PJSingh5000 View Post
    Budoc,

I can certainly appreciate your dilemma. The Elementary theme is indeed quite nice. Dan Rabbit on Deviantart mentioned that the intention of the thin/small scroll bar and slider in Elementary is to provide a visual queue as to your position in a document, and so it was not intended to be used for navigation.

Although I'm sure many users appreciate the simplicity of the scroll bar approach the talented folks at Elementary have taken, some of us actually do use the scroll bar. As one person on another forum pointed out, the scroll bar is very useful to grab and quickly slide to a section of a long document, without having to rotate your mouse's scroll wheel numerous times.

In addition to the scroll bar being very small and thin, the scroll bar is completely missing in OpenOffice.org, while using the Elementary theme. (Dan stipulated that this is an OpenOfffice bug).

Nevertheless, for those of us who want a more substantial scroll bar, we are free to modify our code to suit our needs-- which is the beauty of OpenSource!

Here is what I did to remedy both situations...

Edit the gtkrc file for the elementary theme.
    Code:
    $ gksudo gedit /usr/share/themes/elementary/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
    Replace:
    Code:
    GtkRange		::slider-width				= 8
    With:
    Code:
    GtkRange		::slider-width				= 10
    Replace:
    Code:
    GtkScrollbar		::has-backward-stepper 			= 0
    GtkScrollbar		::has-forward-stepper			= 0
    With:
    Code:
    GtkScrollbar		::has-backward-stepper 			= 1
    GtkScrollbar		::has-forward-stepper			= 1
    Replace:
    Code:
    GtkScrolledWindow	::scrollbars-within-bevel		= 1
    With:
    Code:
    GtkScrolledWindow	::scrollbars-within-bevel		= 0
    Finally, replace the entire scroll bar definition:
    Code:
    {
    }
    With:
    Code:
    {

fg[PRELIGHT]				= @selected_fg_color
    	fg[SELECTED]				= @selected_fg_color
    	fg[ACTIVE]				= @fg_color
    	fg[INSENSITIVE]				= darker (@bg_color)

bg[SELECTED]				= shade (0.90, @selected_bg_color)

engine "murrine"
    	{
    		contrast			= 0.5
    		roundness			= 3
    		lightborderstyle		= 1
    	}
    }
    Save gtkrc and exit gedit. Now log out, and log back in. You should have usable scroll bars that match the Elementary color scheme and fit reasonably well with the theme's concept of minimalism and simplicity. Also OpenOffice.org documents will now have working scroll bars.

I have attached a couple of screen shots so you can see the results.
    thank you!
    I wondered why such a nice theme had s**t scroll bars!
    now it is truly a beautiful theme.

Beans

Great. It really fixed my OO problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I finally solved my icons problem!

It turns out that the version of elementary-icon-theme in the repos for Maverick (2.4-0ubuntu1) has missing icons. I don't believe that the older version in Lucid had this problem.

First I uninstalled the icon theme:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove elementary-icon-theme
    Then I went here and downloaded the latest set of elementary icons.

I extracted the elementary and elementary-mono-dark folders, and then copied them into ~/.icons. Now, when I select the elementary theme in appearances, I get a full set of icons in my indicator applet session menu.
    Last edited by Budoc; November 27th, 2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: wrong icons directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast