Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] initramfs- I've tried

Beans

[SOLVED] initramfs- I've tried

Hello All,
    I built a new from scratch computer and have been trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. I have it on an older computer and have been getting to like it alot. When I click on install Ubuntu I get this message:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

I researched the forum as best I could for a couple of hours and found a few things to try. What I ended up doing was going to F6 and removing 'quiet splash' or whatever that is called and adding 'all_generic_ide' to the end of the command line. This is after I tryed to install in all three SATA modes that are available in my BIOS (IDE, AHCI & RAID). The appended command did the trick for letting it install. I had set it back to ide in the BIOS and it formatted the 1st drive and installed with no problem until reboot. When reboot was done I ended back to the same end as before:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with SATA drives and Hardy Heron? I wanted to do fakeraid, but thats another question I'll save for later. My new system is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H AM2+/AM2 nVidia GeForce 8200 motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Dualcore processor

4GB G.Skill DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel RAM

2- Hitachi Deskstar P7K500- 500 GB SATA harddrives

Sony Optiarc DVDROM and Pioneer DVDR Burner master & slave
    on Primary IDE Channel (only IDE Channel)

USB Card reader in floppy bay

Thanks in Advance,
    fewjr

Beans

Re: initramfs- I've tried

My situation was different, since I successfully installed ubuntu before having the initramfs prompt problem, but it might be worth a try.

In WinXP, have you tried this? :

chkdsk c: /f

(you may need to 'schedule' the chkdsk and reboot windows)

That finally fixed my initramfs problem that happened after my laptop ran out of battery while ubuntu was running.

I was getting:
    ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disk/root.disk does not exist

and then the

initramfs_ prompt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by fewjr View Post
    What I ended up doing was going to F6 and removing 'quiet splash' or whatever that is called and adding 'all_generic_ide' to the end of the command line.

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with SATA drives and Hardy Heron?
    I had major headaches with the initramfs/busybox after upgrading 7.10 to 8.04, so much so, that I gave up for 3 months!

When I managed to drum up the strength to try again it was really simple.

For my system, I firstly removed the original drive ubuntu was on, and added "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" to the install line (and then in grub after installation).
    Now, I know I tried the boot options previously, but hadn't tried a different hard disk & with the problem drive (IDE by the way) out of the system, everything ran like a dream..

so, I'd advise trying those other boot options, and trying the install with just one drive - remove the other while trying the install and switch if the first fails.. it may be one of those disks is faulty?
    Good luck!

Beans

For my system, I firstly removed the original drive ubuntu was on, and added "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" to the install line (and then in grub after installation).
    I didn't do anything to Grub yet. As I stated before I was able to install to my 1st SATA drive after I added 'all_generic_ide', only to end back up at Busybox/initramfs after I was instructed to remove cd from drive and reboot. Could it be that Grub needs to be configured also to see the boot drive. I have no idea how I would do that when I can't boot into OS. Maybe I could try as you say to remove one of the SATA HDs and install again. Thank you. Is there maybe any more suggestions out there. I'm a little perplexed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by fewjr View Post
    I didn't do anything to Grub yet. As I stated before I was able to install to my 1st SATA drive after I added 'all_generic_ide', only to end back up at Busybox/initramfs after I was instructed to remove cd from drive and reboot. Could it be that Grub needs to be configured also to see the boot drive. I have no idea how I would do that when I can't boot into OS. Maybe I could try as you say to remove one of the SATA HDs and install again. Thank you. Is there maybe any more suggestions out there. I'm a little perplexed.
    Ah, sorry, misread your post.
    In that case, I'd try the same boot option at GRUB.. same way "F6", then "e" to edit command line and add 'all_generic_ide'

If it boots you can modify your menu.lst by using

Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    in the terminal

Beans

Ahh....well thank you for that. I am at work, but I will give that a try and post results when done. It will probably do the trick. I would still like to understand why I'm having this problem. I have one computer running lastest Ubuntu, but to tell you the truth I'm not sure if that one has a SATA drive or not. I'll have to crack it open and look. If it does I just don't understand what is causing the trouble with this new computer. Is it because I'm using SATA drives or because I'm installing with two SATA drives installed, etc, etc? I was going to run this with Fakeraid and maybe duelboot with XP. I guess I'll just have to live and learn and try to have fun with it all instead of getting too frustrated. Thank you epidemiks. I'll let you know what happens.

Beans

Okay....I'm back. I'm sorry it took a week to get to this. Night work and 5 daughters takes up time. So epidemiks you said:

In that case, I'd try the same boot option at GRUB.. same way "F6", then "e" to edit command line and add 'all_generic_ide'

If it boots you can modify your menu.lst by using

Code:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

in the terminal
    So last night I tried to boot harddisk. When Grub loaded, I hit esc to enter Grub. These are the entries under Grub:

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
    Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24.16-generic (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu 8.04, memtest86t

I hit "e" to edit, the entries are:

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=3f5cd6c3-59e3-4c83->
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24.16-generic
    quiet

I selected 2nd entry and hit "e" to edit and added all_generic_ide to the end of the command string.It only ended back up at the Busybox screen. Now if I boot to the livecd again and get to the partitioner, if I choose manuel instead of guided I see that my SATA drives are listed as dev/sda & /dev/sdb. So I did try the install again....and this time when I did it I selected guided-use whole disk. Then at the ready to install screen I hit the advanced button, which I did not do the first time. Then it says Device for boot loader installation. In the drop-down menu it had hd0 listed. I selected /dev/sda instead of leaving it at hd0 this time. Then when it finished installing, even with all_generic_ide I still ended up at Busybox.
    During boot I noticed a message flash on the screen right after Grub counts down and had to boot half a dozen to write it down...lol.

MP BIOS Bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

I did some researching on this fine forum and found that it is a common problem for new hardware due to the timer being moved to a different place that Ubuntu hasn't been apprised of yet....maybe in the next version huh. So anyway, I tried booting the livedisk again and selected the first entry to try without installing, which wouldn't work before. I edited and added "all_generic_ide noapic nolapic" and it allowed me to run it. So I tried to edit with these parameters to boot my harddisk, but it still would not boot into Ubuntu (Busybox). So I tried everything I can think of. Anymore help would be appreciated.

fewjr

Beans

Hi , I am a very new ubuntu user and was having the same problems. I had done the all_generic_ide stuff etc and was beating my head against the wall.
    I got the impression it was a hardware incompatibilty problem, so started changing components where possible.
    I removed the dvd drive and put in an old Cd drive. That got me away from the initramfs problem and furtehr towards a full install. I then gor into a video driver problem with my nvidia 7800 gt card so installed using F4 at boot - safe video mode. Now just have nvidia driver probs.
    May not help you but hey.
    I only have one daughter, so you get my respect.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. Earlier in my post I stated that I got Ubuntu to install using the all_generic_ide parameters. So I don't think I need to change my optical drive. I was toying with the idea of disconnecting one of the SATA HDs and reinstalling, but after the "MP BIOS Bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC" message I figured that may be causing my issue. noapic is supposed to take care of that I thought. It allowed me to use livecd without installing but adding that in Grub doesn't let me boot my install. Please help me someone!

fewjr

Beans

I'm being patient, but......Bump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast