Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Firefox 2 Add-ons wont install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

[SOLVED] Firefox 2 Add-ons wont install

If I try to install any add-ons to FF2 I get an error stating that there was an installation error with the number 203.
    I have removed FF3 from my machine (Ubuntu 8.04) & installed FF2. I tried removing FF2 & re-installing, but still no go. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    K1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Firefox 2 Add-ons wont install

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    If I try to install any add-ons to FF2 I get an error stating that there was an installation error with the number 203.
    I have removed FF3 from my machine (Ubuntu 8.04) & installed FF2. I tried removing FF2 & re-installing, but still no go. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    K1
    try renaming your.Mozilla directory in your home folder. When you restart FF it should recreate the folder and prefs cleanly- you can always manually move your bookmarks into the new folder if this fixes the issue with plugins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Firefox 2 Add-ons wont install

Is there a documented procedure for how to install Firefox 2 over the default FF3 beta in Hardy Heron. The loss of all my FF2 extensions requires that I use FF2 and wait for FF3 to catch up on compatible extensions. Any help on installing firefox 2 would be appreciated. Since this is an initial install of 8.04, I don't have any bookmarks saved at this time. In fact, my bookmarks are all on the Foxmarks server, and can't be accessed until I get rid of this $%&*! FF3 browser!
    Regards,
    Natty Narwhal 64bit (for now)
    AMD Socket AM2 X2 4200+ Dual Core
    4GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 320GB SATA2 16MB Cache HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Yes that sorted it. What files do I need to move across to restore my bookmarks?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    Yes that sorted it. What files do I need to move across to restore my bookmarks?
    your bookmarks are backed up in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random_string>.default/bookmarkbackups the actual bookmarks are located at ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random_string>.default/bookmarks.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by explainer View Post
    Is there a documented procedure for how to install Firefox 2 over the default FF3 beta in Hardy Heron. The loss of all my FF2 extensions requires that I use FF2 and wait for FF3 to catch up on compatible extensions. Any help on installing firefox 2 would be appreciated. Since this is an initial install of 8.04, I don't have any bookmarks saved at this time. In fact, my bookmarks are all on the Foxmarks server, and can't be accessed until I get rid of this $%&*! FF3 browser!
    All you should need to do to remove FF3 is this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.0
    Then to install FF2 type this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    your bookmarks are backed up in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random_string>.default/bookmarkbackups the actual bookmarks are located at ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random_string>.default/bookmarks.html
    Many thanks, I copied over the folder, but not the bookmarks.html file (missed it)
    Now working as it should.

Beans
    Hidden!

Angry Re: Firefox 2 Add-ons wont install

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    try renaming your.Mozilla directory in your home folder. When you restart FF it should recreate the folder and prefs cleanly- you can always manually move your bookmarks into the new folder if this fixes the issue with plugins
    Anyone have a more... elegant solution? I don't want to lose all of the settings I have (had) in my previous extensions - especially TabMixPlus, which FF3 has hosed.

I could start with a clean profile, but it would be very irritating, time-consuming, and probably impossible for me to migrate everything cleanly.

thanks!

Beans

I have had so many problems with firefox in Hardy I don't even know where to begin.

But I can begin with the one described in this thread.

OK, firefox 3 has a major bug in it that just won't work for me. So I need firefox-2.

Over the weeks, I've gotten the impression that ff2 and ff3 are utterly incompatable with each other in terms of profile, and that the one will corrupt the other's profile so that neither will work.

Therefore, in switching to firefox-2 I have found that if I don't completely rename my .mozilla/firefox directory, I won't even get off the ground.

But even that doesn't always work.

The last thing I did was:
    (1) in synaptics, search for "firefox" and competely remove everything that has firefox in the name
    (2) in a shell "locate firefox" and remove all directories found.
    (3) remove ~/.mozilla
    (4) in synapitcs, install firefox-2.

The result is, I got a browser that runs, but I can't install add-ons. This last time around, I tried to install Adblock, but it says "Requires additional items".

In previous iterations, I've been able to install addons, but the Preferences button didn't do anything (the ones that aren't greyed out).

I've had a devil of a time getting flashplayer installed. Sometimes after going through this procedure, I can install the player through the browser. Other times I can't and have to install it manually.

I guess what I'd really like to find is a procedure to bring hardy down to a state where it doesn't have anything in in that has anything to do with a browser, and then install everything that firefox-2 needs to run.

Another poster is correct, what *should* work is to remove firefox-3 and install firefox-2, but that doesn't begin to do the right thing and has non-repeatable and unpredictable results.

Beans

I removed everything that has anything to do with firefox from synaptics, deleted ~/.mozilla, then downloaded the install file from mozilla.com and installed it.

The browser seems to be running correctly so far. I can install ad-ons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast