Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus U43JC

Beans

Re: Asus U43JC

Quote Originally Posted by arbrandes View Post
    Hi gravufo!

What the g210m module does is simply run the acpi_call command automatically at boot (and at resume from suspend). If you're getting 19000 mW after rebooting, this could mean a couple of things:

1) The module isn't being loaded: run "lsmod | grep g210" and see if it's there. If it isn't, check your /etc/modules file and see if "nvidia_g210m_acpi" is at the end.

2) The kernel wasn't patched with a custom DSDT, which is required for the U43JC.

It doesn't matter if you have a g310m, by the way (which is what I have).

Will look into the jupiter-support-eee, thing. Maybe it was renamed?
    Hey arbrandes!

Thanks for the explanation

1) the module is loaded, i also did a lsmod | grep acpi_call

2) is there a way to check if the custom DSDT is loaded or what?

I rechecked the usage and it was around 18000 mW. Sometimes it touches 17500 mW but it doesn't stay there more than a few seconds!

Thanks a lot for the help

EDIT: Tested again and I get 16000mW with screen off (FN-F7), and with wifi off + screen off I get 15885mW! A bit better, but still not near 13000mW.

BTW, what is the usual battery life on linux/ubuntu you get on a full charge since you have used the fix/hack?
    Last edited by gravufo; March 1st, 2011 at 01:58 AM.

Beans

My rate is around 11475 mW as I write this, with the screen on low brightness, wifi on, touchpad off, and USB trackball connected:

Code:
    $ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

present:                 yes
    capacity state:          ok
    charging state:          discharging
    present rate:            11475 mW
    remaining capacity:      81210 mWh
    present voltage:         16949 mV
    If I turn off wifi and disconnect all USB devices, I can sometimes get it to go as low as 10500 mW.

To check if the nvidia card is actually off, this is what I do:

Code:
    $ lspci | grep 310M

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev ff)
    If the two characters after "rev" are "ff", you're good to go. Anything else, the card is still on.

Battery life? I've never measured it scientifically, but in real life internet use (some Youtube, some reading, some posting), I'm guessing at least 6 hours.

Beans

Damn, you get good battery life, I barely get 3 hours on linux, most probably because of the Nvidia card >.<

I checked the command you gave me and it returned

01:00:0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)

I guess it isn't off then...It's extremely odd since everything seems just fine...

Any idea how I could troubleshoot/fix this?

Thanks so much for the help!

Beans

Run:

Code:
    $ echo '\_SB.PCI0.RP00.VGA._PS3' | sudo tee -a /proc/acpi/call
    $ cat /proc/acpi/call
    You should get a "0x0" in the beginning of the following line. If so, check if power consumption is low, and also check if the lspci rev is "ff".

If this doesn't work, it means something's not right with your setup: either acpi_call isn't loaded, or the DSDT table is not patched into the kernel, or ... well, there are many reasons. But one step at a time, right?

Beans

Did what you suggested, it does give me a 0x0, but power consumption is still around 16000mW and the rev is still a2 >.<

I'm pretty sure acpi_call is being loaded...might be the custom DSDT though, I wonder... is there no way to check if it actually is the custom one or not without having to redo the whole thing?

Beans

I don't think there's an easy way to check what DSDT the current kernel is using. Since there was a kernel update today, you might as well recompile it, double-checking each step to make sure everything's just right. If I were you I'd also re-dump and re-patch the DSDT from scratch.

If I remember correctly, you will also have to reinstall the acpi_call and 210m modules!

Will look into the jupiter-support-eee, thing. Maybe it was renamed?
    http://www.jupiterapplet.org/downloads.html

Unless you have an Eee PC, it may not help though (does your device support Super Hybrid Engine?). Set acpi_osi=Linux on the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf also if you haven't already.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

I don't think there's an easy way to check what DSDT the current kernel is using. Since there was a kernel update today, you might as well recompile it, double-checking each step to make sure everything's just right. If I were you I'd also re-dump and re-patch the DSDT from scratch.

If I remember correctly, you will also have to reinstall the acpi_call and 210m modules!
    Hey again,

I recompiled today with the newest source by cross-checking everything I did to make sure it was correct. I then installed the modified kernel and restarted and BAM low battery usage

I then restarted again to make sure that it stayed that way, and I tested without the brightness, no Wifi and no usb devices and I got 10665 mW

I also did not have to reinstall the 210m module. I did the acpi_call anyway since it was placed in the tutorial before the restart.

Anyhow, thanks so much for all the help and for the great tutorial! I'll finally be able to use Ubuntu as my main OS!

PS: The rev is also FF

PPS: Do I have to do this whole thing every time there is a new kernel update?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gravufo View Post
    Do I have to do this whole thing every time there is a new kernel update?
    Unfortunately, yes. If you want the kernel fixes, that is! I myself only recompile every two or three releases, and use the old one in between.

It's too bad Linus decided to do away with initrd support for custom DSDT tables (with which no kernel recompilation would be needed). I heard it was done as an incentive for kernel developers to make the kernel work out-of-the-box with all BIOS's, even buggy ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

dose this device carde reader worke fine on ubuntu?

mine n43 dosent as they are all asus same soloutions may be available

Tnx
    asus n43jf
    what to do whit nvidia optimus?hope for solution

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast