Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootable USB no Wifi

Beans

Bootable USB no Wifi

I have made a bootabe Ubuntu USB but when I boot via USB, Ubuntu won't connect to the wifi. Before I install Ubuntu I need to know that it will connect to the internet.

So, when I boot Ubuntu I don't even see a list of wifi connections like I do with Windows and my phone.

I'd like to install Ubuntu on my PC as Windows is giving me too much trouble but it needs to connect to the internet. Maybe it will connect to the internet when I install it (as opposed to using a bootable USB)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bootable USB no Wifi

Quote Originally Posted by ush2018 View Post
    I have made a bootabe Ubuntu USB but when I boot via USB, Ubuntu won't connect to the wifi. Before I install Ubuntu I need to know that it will connect to the internet.

So, when I boot Ubuntu I don't even see a list of wifi connections like I do with Windows and my phone.

I'd like to install Ubuntu on my PC as Windows is giving me too much trouble but it needs to connect to the internet. Maybe it will connect to the internet when I install it (as opposed to using a bootable USB)?
    Suppose Ubuntu does not have a driver. You have figure out that chip in this this stick. When booted open a terminal (probably called gnome-terminal), and type sudo lsusb and see if there is anything listed corespondent to your stick. Use the other PC and so a web search for the chip name you found and linux to see if there a if there does a name of the driver module show up. If, do a sudo lsmod to see if it is listed. If not, try sudo modprobe <DRIVERNAME> (replace with with what you found in a web search. Failing all other people might have the same problem with that driver and a possible solution.
    Ankman

My blog https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com
    Retro arcade game web page http://www.ankman.de/mame/

Beans

If it matters I'm using a HP Stream.

Beans

I have made a bootabe Ubuntu USB but when I boot via USB, Ubuntu won't connect to the wifi
    You will need your wifi passphrase so write that down before you begin.

What does "won't connect to the wifi" mean? What exactly did you do/try? When you boot the Ubuntu installer and get to the Desktop, click in the extreme upper right the lightning or down arrow icon. You should get a pop-up window and it will show Wifi not connected. Click on that and you will then see an option to select networ, click on that and you should see the various wifi connections locally. Select yours and at the bottom of that windows, click connect and in the new window you will be prompted for your wifi passphrase which is usually on the back/bottom of the router so enter it and again, click connect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to Networking

Can you post results from terminal for
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net; rfkill list

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You will need your wifi passphrase so write that down before you begin.

What does "won't connect to the wifi" mean? What exactly did you do/try?
    I mean there is working wifi but my computer, whilst running Ubuntu, won't connect to it. I see no list of wifi connections.

When you boot the Ubuntu installer and get to the Desktop, click in the extreme upper right the lightning or down arrow icon. You should get a pop-up window and it will show Wifi not connected. Click on that and you will then see an option to select networ, click on that and you should see the various wifi connections locally. Select yours and at the bottom of that windows, click connect and in the new window you will be prompted for your wifi passphrase which is usually on the back/bottom of the router so enter it and again, click connect.
    I will try this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    ...get to the Desktop, click in the extreme upper right the lightning or down arrow icon. You should get a pop-up window and it will show Wifi not connected. Click on that and you will then see an option to select networ, click on that and you should see the various wifi connections locally. Select yours and at the bottom of that windows, click connect and in the new window you will be prompted for your wifi passphrase which is usually on the back/bottom of the router so enter it and again, click connect.
    What I see is the network icon which resembles a triangle with one curved side. I click thi and I get a drop-down menu with the following contents:

• No network devices available
    • VPN Conections
    • Enable networking
    • Connection information
    • Edit conections

I'm thinking that since "No Network Devices Available" is there that Ubuntu isn't "seeing" the wifi (Windows connects just fine).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    Moved to Networking

Code:
    I ran this command and took a screenshot of the output but now Windows wont find the screenshot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    Moved to Networking

Code:

Here's a photo of the output.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa