Thread: Need suggestions on buying a netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Question Need suggestions on buying a netbook

I was thinking of buying a netbook, but their are some criteria that I not sure any model is able to meet:

- it must be fully linux-compatible, no broadcom & friends (important)
    - it must not have Windows of any kind preinstalled, I don't pay M$ tax (important)
    - it must have 3d acceleration, intel video card would be enough (important)
    - it must not be Acer(I hate the brand badly) (important)
    - it should but not exclusively have 2GB of ram (not so important)
    - it should have a camera of at least 1Megapixel
    - sound card must have a descent driver, it must work with skype (important)
    - and I want to be able to connect it to external displays
    - ethernet and wireless card
    - sleep,hibernate & friends must work flawlessly under linux without hacks (important)
    - price range: around 300 EURO

Another thing I don't know about netbooks: can you code on netbooks? can you get used to the small keys?

If someone knows a model that fits my requirements please post it here. I am considering on buying one, but don't want to waste my money.
    Edit/Delete Message
    Last edited by DjDarkman; April 10th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Need suggestions on buying a netbook

I've got a Dell Mini 9 and it seems to work pretty well. i don't think it has 3d acceleration and only has 1 gig of ram, but I'm pretty sure it meets all your other goals (minus the Skype thing).

Also, if you can't find a netbook that meets all those criteria, I recommend changing around your criteria.
    "Not all who wander are lost."

Beans

I have no clue if it suits your needs. but i'm personally looking at the Samsung NC10. It looks nice, not sure about linux compability either, but it can probably be done.

Some links:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...sung-nc10.aspx
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/234621/samsung-nc10.html
    --
    fdoving

Beans

Shame you hate acer, as the aspireone can be extensively altered to suit. Would recommend nc10 by be aware of load count cycle issue

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by teaker1s View Post
    Shame you hate acer, as the aspireone can be extensively altered to suit. Would recommend nc10 by be aware of load count cycle issue
    I hate Acer, because it's crapware, I want quality, I have an Acer laptop, and it failed me miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by teaker1s View Post
    Would recommend nc10 by be aware of load count cycle issue
    I want something that Just Works (TM) on linux.
    I know how to hack stuff together, but I don't want to, I want to pay for fully linux compatible products.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by fdoving View Post
    I have no clue if it suits your needs. but i'm personally looking at the Samsung NC10. It looks nice, not sure about linux compability either, but it can probably be done.

Some links:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...sung-nc10.aspx
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/234621/samsung-nc10.html
    Thanks but it looks like it has windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralex1098 View Post
    I've got a Dell Mini 9 and it seems to work pretty well. i don't think it has 3d acceleration and only has 1 gig of ram, but I'm pretty sure it meets all your other goals (minus the Skype thing).

Also, if you can't find a netbook that meets all those criteria, I recommend changing around your criteria.
    Not all of them, but most of them that are important. 1GB of ram is acceptable, if all other requirements are met.
    Last edited by DjDarkman; April 10th, 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Avoiding double post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by DjDarkman View Post
    I was thinking of buying a netbook, but their are some criteria that I not sure any model is able to meet:

- it must be fully linux-compatible, no broadcom & friends (important)
    - it must not have Windows of any kind preinstalled, I don't pay M$ tax (important)
    - it must have 3d acceleration, intel video card would be enough (important)
    - it must not be Acer(I hate the brand badly) (important)
    - it should but not exclusively have 2GB of ram (not so important)
    - it should have a camera of at least 1Megapixel
    - sound card must have a descent driver, it must work with skype (important)
    - and I want to be able to connect it to external displays
    - ethernet and wireless card
    - sleep,hibernate & friends must work flawlessly under linux without hacks (important)
    - price range: around 300 EURO

Another thing I don't know about netbooks: can you code on netbooks? can you get used to the small keys?

If someone knows a model that fits my requirements please post it here. I am considering on buying one, but don't want to waste my money.
    Edit/Delete Message
    If not for
    I would say you want an MSI Wind. Bottom line, is it is the best netbook on the market right now in my opinion.

I have Asus Eee 7xx, Everex Cloudbook, Dell Mini 9, and an MSI Wind. The MSI Wind is the hands down champion in my arsenal, the Dell Mini 9 neck and neck for second place with the Asus Eee 701 and 702(because the Mini 9 keyboard layout is crrrap), the Asus Eee 700 is 3rd, and the Everex Cloudbook is some sort of punishment, not sure what I ever did wrong to deserve that sort of inhumane treatment, but I would just recommend staying away from the Cloudbook.

The MSI Wind is the only one that shipped with windows preinstalled, all the others shipped with some form of linux, the Mini 9 has Ubuntu 8.04 dell customized. I will point out that the MSI guys knew we would be loading linux and hackintosh so they were kind enough to stuff windows on a 32gb partition and leave the rest of the drive on a seperate partition for ease of dual boot installs (no shrinking required if one wants to keep windows). I got ours for $299 at newegg, though I still wonder if I should have spent another $80 and gotten the one with the 6cell battery and bluetooth. /shrug, nah, i'll go to ebay and get a 9 cell and a touchscreen kit.

GL and have fun, thats my .02

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Question Re: Need suggestions on buying a netbook

Quote Originally Posted by starcannon View Post
    If not for
    I would say you want an MSI Wind. Bottom line, is it is the best netbook on the market right now in my opinion.

I have Asus Eee 7xx, Everex Cloudbook, Dell Mini 9, and an MSI Wind. The MSI Wind is the hands down champion in my arsenal, the Dell Mini 9 neck and neck for second place with the Asus Eee 701 and 702(because the Mini 9 keyboard layout is crrrap), the Asus Eee 700 is 3rd, and the Everex Cloudbook is some sort of punishment, not sure what I ever did wrong to deserve that sort of inhumane treatment, but I would just recommend staying away from the Cloudbook.

The MSI Wind is the only one that shipped with windows preinstalled, all the others shipped with some form of linux, the Mini 9 has Ubuntu 8.04 dell customized. I will point out that the MSI guys knew we would be loading linux and hackintosh so they were kind enough to stuff windows on a 32gb partition and leave the rest of the drive on a seperate partition for ease of dual boot installs (no shrinking required if one wants to keep windows). I got ours for $299 at newegg, though I still wonder if I should have spent another $80 and gotten the one with the 6cell battery and bluetooth. /shrug, nah, i'll go to ebay and get a 9 cell and a touchscreen kit.

GL and have fun, thats my .02
    Which MSI do you recommend? I found the U90X-037EU which is very cheap and doesn't have windows? Is the MSI's keyboard all right? I want to be able to code with my new netbook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is the exact model I bought:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152093

The keyboard is excellent, indeed nearly full sized, coding should be a snap.
    Sadly this is currently my wifes machine I had bought myself the mini 9, and her the Wind, I would trade her, but she won't budge lol.