Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLI - Underneath it all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

CLI - Underneath it all

I have a question. When working with a pure CLI system, what are the differences between linux distributions. The only two things that come to mind are:

-sudo and su
    -package management

Anything else?
    √ is /

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: CLI - Underneath it all

Yes, I guess the syntax of some commands are different. I am not sure though.
    Laptop: Toshiba L505 S6959
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo T6500 2.1GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Graphics: Intel 4500 MHD

Beans

Different init systems are also worth mentioning.

EDIT: Different distros also have different policies on patching and/or modifying packages. This can affect the security and functionality of the software in the repos.
    Last edited by cardinals_fan; January 28th, 2009 at 02:14 AM.

Beans

The default configuration files (and relevant directories) under /etc can vary quite a bit (both in existence and content). The init configuration is one example, but there are many others, of course (/etc/profile, application defaults, e.g., for vim...).

On a user level, configuration files (e.g., copied from /etc/skel) can be quite different from distro to distro. The default ~/.bashrc can be nearly empty or even nonexistent.

You can also see different amounts of software installed by default (Hey! Where's less?!), and different versions with potentially different levels of functionality (read those man pages! ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    The default configuration files (and relevant directories) under /etc can vary quite a bit (both in existence and content). The init configuration is one example, but there are many others, of course (/etc/profile, application defaults, e.g., for vim...).

On a user level, configuration files (e.g., copied from /etc/skel) can be quite different from distro to distro. The default ~/.bashrc can be nearly empty or even nonexistent.

You can also see different amounts of software installed by default (Hey! Where's less?!), and different versions with potentially different levels of functionality (read those man pages! ).
    Thanks, that is exactly the type of response I was looking for (and if the thanks button would show up I would thank you)
    √ is /

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You're also looking at default hardware support (so kernel) variations between the distributions. A CLI install of Ubuntu on my laptop works differently than the CLI install of Debian, even though they are "related", because of Debian's philosophy regarding non-free software. Outside of that, it has been covered by the other fine folks here.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if you want to learn command line and still have fun, check out INX. it's total command line goodness. it has built in tutorials too. very nice.

Beans

There are differences between distros but also lots of similarities
    A good link regarding CLI basics : http://www.ss64.com/bash/

Debian and Ubuntu have lots of similarities [Similar popular packages => similar principles => not so big differences inside configuration files].

Programming languages used in the recent distros tend also to be the same (g++, something for KDE, something for Gnome, QT3, ... etc etc).

I love Linux CLI oriented operating systems

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Noour View Post
    Programming languages used in the recent distros tend also to be the same (g++, something for KDE, something for Gnome, QT3, ... etc etc).
    Just to quibble, you're referring to major compilers and toolkits, not programming languages per se.

The init systems really do make quite a difference. The two most common are System V style and BSD style, but I really like the SliTaz system: no runlevels! I believe Gentoo has their own as well (can't remember for sure). Ubuntu uses Upstart, which is intentionally similar to System V for backwards-compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init

Beans

Package selection, base package choice (busybox vs coreutils/binutils), networking packages (netkit vs others), alsa yes/no, there are more differences in CLI systems than graphic systems really, because each difference can add or subtract functionality at a very basic level. Also think about the fact that you will have to memorize commands, and the options for different programs can be very confusing, as well as syntax differences. You also need to think of what the shell is bash, zsh, ash, korn, tcsh, etc...
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast