Thread: Battery not found

Beans

Battery not found

I am running a dual boot of windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on my toshiba satellite L655. My battery life is normal and I don't have any issues on the windows partition. In Ubuntu, none of the power manager programs recognize the battery. I do not have a battery icon. I have found many threads, but none with a fix that worked for me.

How do i get Ubuntu to recognize that my battery is present?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Battery not found

Quote Originally Posted by Slidescream2013 View Post
    I am running a dual boot of windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on my toshiba satellite L655. My battery life is normal and I don't have any issues on the windows partition. In Ubuntu, none of the power manager programs recognize the battery. I do not have a battery icon. I have found many threads, but none with a fix that worked for me.

How do i get Ubuntu to recognize that my battery is present?
    I am curious, do you have an icon when plugged into AC power?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I am curious, do you have an icon when plugged into AC power?

No, I have never had the icon from install, either on battery or AC

Beans
    Hidden!

This puzzles me, i wish i could help more but at the moment i am out of ideas.
    Hopefully someone else has something that will help, i am subscribed to this
    thread in case i find something that will work. Sorry i can't be of more help.

Beans

Its quite puzzling, and annoying! I have been looking for months to find a fix to this. I am fairly new to Linux OS and don't dare to do to much digging into the system on my own.

I have seen other postings of people with toshiba laptops having this issue, but I have never seen a fix for it.

Beans

bump. I have been digging deep into the internet and can still find nothing. I have seen a couple references to similar issues on forums but never any answers. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This might be of interest: http://techinterplay.com/fix-toshiba...sue-linux.html. Unfortunately, it involves rebuilding the kernel.

However, from that link:
    The cause of issue is because Toshiba included two sets of boot data that tell the OS what hardware exists in the machine. Windows reads the correct one whereas Linux doesn’t.
    I wonder whether telling the BIOS to support a different OS might work. Maybe you could try the following kernel parameters to see if they help (one at a time):
    - acpi_osi=
    - acpi_osi=Linux
    - acpi_osi="Windows 2006"

See the "Temporarily Add a Kernel Boot Parameter for Testing" section here

Beans

I dual boot with windows 8, Would altering the BIOS in that manner affect my other partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Slidescream2013 View Post
    I dual boot with windows 8, Would altering the BIOS in that manner affect my other partition?
    You are not altering the BIOS at all, you are just telling the BIOS that you are a different OS and it is providing you with a different set of "boot data" (acpi tables). It shouldn't affect the Windows 8 install.

This may or may not work. The article indicates that you need to compile a custom kernel. In lieu of going through that complicated process, I'm wondering if you could "fool" the BIOS into thinking that a Windows-based OS is booting, thus having it generate this other set of "boot data".

Just a thought.