View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 91 of 152 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Master Kernel Thread

That kernel is already in the Hardy repository. So I say it's a bit of a gamble, but you could enable Hardy repositories and grab the kernel, linux-restricted-modules and such. Then disable it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by hyperair View Post
    That kernel is already in the Hardy repository. So I say it's a bit of a gamble, but you could enable Hardy repositories and grab the kernel, linux-restricted-modules and such. Then disable it.
    That is not the solution I am looking for. I am trying to compile my own kernel and restricted modules. The point is to tweak the settings for my specific machine for improved performance. The Ubuntu kernels are designed to run on every machine, and because of that are inherently slower than the kernels I compile when run on my computer.

I figured it out by the way. It turns out that make-kpkg is not ready for the migration of the i386 architecture to the x86 architecture. Because of this it doesn't install all of the necessary files into the headers package. I had to copy the files arch/x86/Makefile_32 and arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu from the compiled source directory to the headers directory. I also had to fix a broken link in the include directory, include/asm was pointing to asm-i386, which doesn't exist, and should have been pointing to asm-x86. With those changes the restricted modules compiled.

Beans
    Hidden!

The Noble, it has been reported at bugs.launchpad.net:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/189005

BTW, thanks for helping here and there

Quote Originally Posted by The Noble View Post
    Code:
    debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
    User postinst hook script [update-grub] exited with value 1
    dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.24 (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     linux-image-2.6.24
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Some files may be locked, but I can't see how that happened. I use Startup manager, but that should not be the problem. Any ideas?
    Last edited by fransex; February 5th, 2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Thanks to The Noble

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glennric View Post
    I am trying to compile my own kernel and restricted modules. The point is to tweak the settings for my specific machine for improved performance. The Ubuntu kernels are designed to run on every machine, and because of that are inherently slower than the kernels I compile when run on my computer.
    Do you have any benchmarks that shows any improvement? I think the loading and initializing of unneeded drivers can add a few seconds to the booting, but other than that, any tangible difference can not be expected. If there is one, it would be a bug that we should try to fix.

I know a self-compiled kernel feels good and smooth, but I think that's a placebo effect. And as someone said, it's a learning experience. But give us some numbers
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    Do you have any benchmarks that shows any improvement? I think the loading and initializing of unneeded drivers can add a few seconds to the booting, but other than that, any tangible difference can not be expected. If there is one, it would be a bug that we should try to fix.

I know a self-compiled kernel feels good and smooth, but I think that's a placebo effect. And as someone said, it's a learning experience. But give us some numbers
    Perhaps you are right, and it is only a placebo effect. It does feel faster and smoother. However, I would be interested in obtaining actual benchmarks for comparison. I am not sure how to do this. Let me know of good ways of obtaining such benchmarks and I will provide numbers.

Beans
    Hidden!

maybe "systester"? - http://systester.sourceforge.net
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Run Super PI on Wine. xD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post

I feel smoother and more responsive in normal desktop computing, e.g. web browsing and stuff. Maybe it's a placebo effect like you mentioned. However, I noticed ~5 fps increase in playing World of Warcraft through wine (and yes, smoother and more responsive as well). I'm pretty sure that's not just a placebo effect though.
    ~ vanilla kubuntu in a feisty cup ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just compiled my first custom kernel, thanks for the guide!

I'm not sure how you could say it was a Placebo effect, especially when I picked my processor type and turned off system tick or whatever it is called.

The compile took nearly 17 hours on my old AMD K6-2 550MHz box.

However, I accidentally somehow disabled support for my USB mouse and keyboard, LOL. I thought I left all of the USB enabled, any ideas what I may have done?

Also, on boot both kernels say they can't find hdc... but that must be unrelated to the compile.

I will see if I can bench-mark with the different kernels.

I am currently running on a command line only for the moment.

- breakdaze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by fransex View Post
    The Noble, it has been reported at bugs.launchpad.net:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/189005

BTW, thanks for helping here and there
    Has anybody found a workaround yet?
    Last edited by ntetreau; February 8th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

Page 91 of 152 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast