View Poll Results: GNOME Shell or Unity?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unity

119 27.93%
  • GNOME Shell

158 37.09%
  • Anything that works

119 27.93%
  • I don't use GNOME

30 7.04%
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

I don't know if you missed the part about where Unity will check to see if the system is capable of running it, and if not will drop back to the 2 panel desktop, there will also be a choice in the session menu, so that you can select what desktop you want to use, even gnome shell.
    Now this doesn't sound so bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity as default, I find this very interesting.

The Ubuntu distribution claims to be all about the desktop experience... It hasn't really been that innovative on the desktop yet, now it could certainly be living up to it's claims..

I'll probably won't be using it as I'm not using Ubuntu as much as I used to, but at least now I could see some real purpose for the distribution again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    Now this doesn't sound so bad.
    +1 I posted my previous post too soon then. If it will check wither or not the system can run it and/or gnome-shell and will drop back to the old 2 panel if it can't then hey, I'm for it.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    Its not much of a option for me atm. My system won't even run Gnome Shell. Graphics Card doesn't want to do the 3D Acceration I guess. All I know is when I try to run the lastest Gnome Shell it loads but completely freezes the GUI. No mouse, no visual activies, no nothing. I usually have to switch into a console mode and reboot.

If Ubuntu does decide to go shell I hope it will also auto-detect wither or not to actually use it or to drop back onto 2.x should the graphics card not be able to use it. Gnome should of never had shell depend on 3D Acceleration.
    The new unity will be based on Compiz and not Mutter like the Gnome Shell. Also, being dropped to Gnome 2 is exactly the plan. If compiz works you are probably good to go.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    The new unity will be based on Compiz and not Mutter like the Gnome Shell. Also, being dropped to Gnome 2 is exactly the plan. If compiz works you are probably good to go.
    lol then I'm golden.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    No nearly in the same way as GNOME 2, though I'm glad it's not because the current panel is pretty nasty in ways. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to have more than one panel, resize it or position it.
    According to the myths page on gnome.org, you're wrong and the traditional gnome panels will be available exactly as they are now for those that choose not to use Gnome Shell. This was published quite some time ago and is still the plan.

Beans

Like many I have my doubts about unity on the desktop, but I am in favour of new developments so I would not like to complain about anything till it has had a chance to develop.

My 24" desktop is used very differently to my 9" netbook, although they are both used for the same apps. I may have several different apps open in both but on the netbook they are all full screen and I switch which is on top on the desktop some will be tiled and none full screen. I think the UI also needs to be customised to each environment, and not fixed to a single format.

I feel the ability to customise the desktop is the most important benefit of the open development, many people contribute alternative ideas and the end user can choose, as long as we do not loose that we can all have what we like.

David

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    According to the myths page on gnome.org, you're wrong and the traditional gnome panels will be available exactly as they are now for those that choose not to use Gnome Shell. This was published quite some time ago and is still the plan.
    I'm talking about if you only use GNOME Shell, not what the distro provides.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The regular gnome desktop will still be available, just as it is now on Unity netbook edition. Even Gnome 3 will still have the panels.
    Thanks, that is really good to hear. The default appearance in Maverick proved to me that Gnome can look very good and it gave Ubuntu a very positive image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

qamelian, thanks for the info, you are the one that got me to like the two panel layout and give it a fair try.

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast