Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to UNETbootin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Alternative to UNETbootin?

The first time I used UNetbootin it was smooth as butter.

The second time I used UNetbootin for Ubuntu it choked and I had to start a thread here (and found a solution).

The third time I used UNetbootin for a different distro (to dual-boot with Xubuntu), UNetbootin choked again with a file path error message, so now I have to investigate that.

It's starting to get a little CRAZY.

Is there another (or better) program for a flash drive install of an .iso?
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Alternative to UNETbootin?

I use Unetbootin all the time and never had a problem with it. I do however wipe the memory stick before using it.
    You could try Pendrive, I have not.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Try mkusb in linux and Win32 Disk Imager in Windows to copy/clone/flash the iso file to a pendrive! If the iso file is a hybrid iso file it works after cloning (very high success rate). If it is a linux iso file but not a hybrid file, you can easily make it a hybrid iso file with the program isohybrid.

Edit: Unetbootin works most of the time for me. I use it when I want persistence.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 24th, 2014 at 10:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been using Disks->Restore Disk Image that was recommended by one if the developers, I haven't had a failure since.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Try mkusb in linux and Win32 Disk Imager in Windows to copy/clone/flash the iso file to a pendrive! If the iso file is a hybrid iso file it works after cloning (very high success rate). If it is a linux iso file but not a hybrid file, you can easily make it a hybrid iso file with the program isohybrid.

Edit: Unetbootin works most of the time for me. I use it when I want persistence.
    +1 with mkusb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@coldraven

Thanks, I'll check your alternative. Yes, I have reformatted my flash drive before using UNetbootin, even tried FAT32 vs. ext4 -- didn't make a difference for my errors.
    Last edited by Kurt_Alan; December 24th, 2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Post reply did not attach to recipient.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@sudodus --

Thanks for the goldmine of alternatives. Um, I forgot, what is "persistence"? I did not check this in UNetbootin. Could this have anything to do with my problem?
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Beans
    Hidden!

A normal live system is not saved, so when you reboot, it will be the same as the first time (from the iso file). A persistent live system uses an overlay method, so that you can save installed program packages, settings and tweaks, but you cannot upgrade the linux kernel. The persistence is stored in a casper-rw file or partition. Unetbootin creates a casper-rw file if you select persistence.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the current problems of Unetbootin depend on persistence. On the other hand, if you unplug the pendrive, before it has saved the overlayed changes to the drive (flushed the buffers), the system will be damaged.

You can search for posts by C.S.Cameron here at the Ubuntu Forums about persistent live systems.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 25th, 2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typing error corrected: post --> posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I use Unetbootin all the time and never had a problem with it. I do however wipe the memory stick before using it.
    You could try Pendrive, I have not.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
    I agree with coldraven. I, too, have never had a problem with UNetbootin.....but, like him, I also wipe the stick CLEAN.

When you format your stick, are you simply re-formatting.....or the FULL format, over-writing EVERYTHING with zeros? This is, I find, the only way to guarantee good results. It takes a little longer, depending on the capacity of your stick (I use 'Disks' for this).....anywhere from 15 minutes or so for a 4 GB, up to around 2 hrs for a 32 GB stick (due to the restricted read/write rates for a USB 2.0 stick on my elderly hardware) ; but the preparation time is well worth the hassle-free installation that results from it.

I have an assortment of sticks, from 4 GB up to 32 GB, which I have repeatedly used for not only 'Live-USB's, but also full installs. With the proper preparation, I can guarantee perfect results, every time.

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    I agree with coldraven. I, too, have never had a problem with UNetbootin.....but, like him, I also wipe the stick CLEAN.

When you format your stick, are you simply re-formatting.....or the FULL format, over-writing EVERYTHING with zeros? This is, I find, the only way to guarantee good results. It takes a little longer, depending on the capacity of your stick (I use 'Disks' for this).....anywhere from 15 minutes or so for a 4 GB, up to around 2 hrs for a 32 GB stick (due to the restricted read/write rates for a USB 2.0 stick on my elderly hardware) ; but the preparation time is well worth the hassle-free installation that results from it.

I have an assortment of sticks, from 4 GB up to 32 GB, which I have repeatedly used for not only 'Live-USB's, but also full installs. With the proper preparation, I can guarantee perfect results, every time.

Regards,

Mike.
    You are right, making the pendrive's file system clean helps a lot. But unless you want persistence (or an installed system), it is way too long time to wait for a USB boot drive system. Try mkusb, that will do the work in 1-4 minutes, and needs no cleaning.

A 1 GB iso file flashed to a slow pendrive (5 MB/s) needs 200 seconds, but flashing the same iso file to a fast USB 3 pendrive in a USB 2 port (25 MB/s) needs only 40 seconds.

See this link about pendrive speed (post #6) Howto help USB boot drives

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast