Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Choppy video in Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Choppy video in Maverick

I've also confirmed this on my machine, without Avant running. I hate problems like this. Lacking common identifier, no bug report to file... argh!

Edit: Ended up removing my OS all together and installing Sabayon. Hated it, then installed Maverick fresh - smooth as Lucid was.
    Last edited by iMerlin; October 12th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Linux user since 1998.
    Ubuntu user since 2004.
    My tech blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ModernTenshi04 View Post
    My machine is rocking a 2.8Ghz Core i7 and a Radeon 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM, 8GB of RAM.

I installed the RC of 10.10 Friday afternoon. I went with the video card driver Maverick suggested upon initially booting.
    You may not be experiencing the same problem. The proprietary drivers for ATI cards (fglrx) have a known problem with vsync anytime compositing (desktop effects) is enabled. Video playback is better with the open source drivers (the ones installed by default), but 3d is slower, especially on newer cards.

Beans

Get the same problem here with a Dell 510m Inspiron laptop, with Intel graphic driver.
    It is a fresh install of 10.10, previously working perfectly fine with 10.04.
    All players are having the same problem.
    I just have noticed that there is a similar problem when reading an mp3 file with Rhytmbox, the sound appends to have some choppyness (very light, but real). Therefore, I'm wondering if the problem does not come from the audio decoding, rather than the video decoding ?
    But I have not found any other clue. No solution seems to have been found yet, considering to reinstall 10.04 (which has other problems with intel graphic card, but with workarounds).

Beans
    Distro

Hi All, Having the same problem on a sony Vaio VGN-NS10E since the upgrade to 10.10, i've tried a couple of different players but the all seen to have chopping video and sound. I had no problem in 10.04.

I don't have compositing manager running on my machine and have tried switching of effects and AWN to no avail.

Has anyone managed to come up with a fix to problem.

Beans
    Distro

Here are some snapshots of my system monitor while watching a video file on my laptop.

The first two snapshots show that everything is running smoothly. The video is OK.

In the last two snapshots some process is hogging the system resources and the video gets choppy. The problem is that I can't figure out what process is doing this. Whenever I clickk on the Procesess tab, all processes seem to be sound asleep, except mplayer (around 14%) and pulseaudio (around 6%). And it is the same when the video is OK and when it is choppy!!

This choppiness can come in waves, or occur since the very beginning of the movie. And I'm starting to think that AWN has nothing to do with this, because video also gets choppy when AWN is off. I also disabled all desktop effects, and the choppiness continued.

IT'S SO CONFUSING!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

I'm starting to download Fedora. Can anyone save me?

Beans
    Distro

I'm serious! I have a blank CD and I'm not afraid to use it!

Beans
    Hidden!

Nothing wrong with trying fedora. But to find out what causing this, make sure in process tab you look at all processes, not just your own. View > All processes. Or run top in a terminal.

Beans
    Distro

Found a solution on this thread and it seams to have fixed the problem for me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1588889

In the terminal open the /etc/pulse/default.pa file

Code:
    Sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
    In the text file search for the line below:

Code:
    load-module module-udev-detect
    edit the line to add 'tsched=0' to the end of the line like below:

Code:
    load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
    Save and reboot.

Hope this helps others with this problem.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Choppy video in Maverick

OK... let's see...
    Everything seems to be OK so far. Even VLC, which was almost useless, is running smoothly.

I will wait for a day or two and then I'll report on this.

I just have to say that I had to re-enable desktop effects and some Compiz animations after I rebooted. But everything seems to be OK now.

Fedora will have to wait.

Dmck23, I owe you one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast