Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Since we're on the topic about steam and everything I'm not sure what I'm about to say is completely relevant, but, here goes.
    I use Mac and Ubuntu as my main OSes, and I was very excited for Black Mesa Source, although to be very disappointed by it's windows exclusivity, anyone have hint that the developers of BMS might throw it to Mac?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Yeah but won't value put restrictions on editing/redistributing software?
    Hopefully there will be no need to modify the binary files.

Beans

I cannot wait for this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Isn't Valve DRM central?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design
    Software Patents: Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Glencore View Post
    Isn't Valve DRM central?

Yes Steam is DRM, but in the 3 years I have used Steam I have never had a problem with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Glencore View Post
    Isn't Valve DRM central?
    Steam is the kind of DRM that doesn't screw the consumer over to no end. In exchange for securely selling numerous games, Steam gives the consumer other benefits such as cloud saves, unlimited downloads, and so on. Usually DRM just takes, whereas Steam arguably gives more than it takes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    Steam is the kind of DRM that doesn't screw the consumer over to no end. In exchange for securely selling numerous games, Steam gives the consumer other benefits such as cloud saves, unlimited downloads, and so on. Usually DRM just takes, whereas Steam arguably gives more than it takes.
    Agreed. Also, it allows you to uninstall and reinstall at will, even onto a different machine, without having to worry about DRM protect install or play discs that can get lost/damaged/etc.

There is nothing inherently evil about DRM. The evil comes with abusive and unfairly restrictive DRM. I've yet to see Valve use DRM to abuse it's customers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    I highly agree!
    In fact, I've just recently built a new PC (with my usual multi-boot configuration of Ubuntu, Windows, and another partition to try out different distros) and it was so easy for me to transfer not only my games, but also my saves from my old PC to my new one without any problem at all.
    If DRM were always dealt with the way that Steam handles it, I'm sure no one would complain about it. It's been my experience that Steam legitimately cares about the consumer.
    That's yet another reason why I'm more than delighted to know that I'll soon be able to have Steam with Ubuntu!

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    Agreed. Also, it allows you to uninstall and reinstall at will, even onto a different machine, without having to worry about DRM protect install or play discs that can get lost/damaged/etc.

There is nothing inherently evil about DRM. The evil comes with abusive and unfairly restrictive DRM. I've yet to see Valve use DRM to abuse it's customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarivera9 View Post
    I highly agree!
    In fact, I've just recently built a new PC (with my usual multi-boot configuration of Ubuntu, Windows, and another partition to try out different distros) and it was so easy for me to transfer not only my games, but also my saves from my old PC to my new one without any problem at all.
    If DRM were always dealt with the way that Steam handles it, I'm sure no one would complain about it. It's been my experience that Steam legitimately cares about the consumer.
    That's yet another reason why I'm more than delighted to know that I'll soon be able to have Steam with Ubuntu!
    Yup, Steam is good like that, but I still love GOG more. No DRM, no regional pricing, loads of extras, and some seriously good customer support? Worth it.
    Last edited by Zeven; September 24th, 2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Included VeeDubb's post because I'm a pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New news on this, the Valve Linux Team has confirmed a closed beta for steam for linux and L4D2 coming sometime in October. The beta will include about 1000 people and you have to sign up to get in. The sign up details will be coming in a future post.

More here:
    http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux...-than-never-3/
    FX-4100, GA-970A-D3, CM Hyper 212+, 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333, Kingston HyperX 3K 90GB SSD, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, nVidia GTX 480
    Windows 7 Pro (Ubuntu 12.04 VM), Ubuntu Server 12.04, Ubuntu User #31355
    Dropbox!

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast