Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Beans

Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Im all about the details of the clicking... but to be honest I can live without the gesture gimmicks and as long as I get left and right click I'll be more than happy.

My main concerns I guess are the graphics, wireless, audio, and touch pad does basic (mouse like stuff). More than that ehh... it is gonna be running Ubuntu anyways. Thanks for all the great content and replies

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leetbumble View Post
    Im all about the details of the clicking... but to be honest I can live without the gesture gimmicks and as long as I get left and right click I'll be more than happy.
    me too.
    having the gestures would be nice, not having them wouldn't be a problem at all.
    also, for the right click it's surely possible to configure f12 or f11 to do it, like on older macs…

My main concerns I guess are the graphics,
    yeah: what about the 2 graphic cards?

wireless,
    in the macbook there seems to be a broadcom card (oh no: not another one!), still no idea about the pro. i have a strong feeling that something like ndiswrapper will be required.

audio, and touch pad does basic (mouse like stuff).
    hopefully they will from the first moment.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just went to my local Apple Store tonight to have a look at the new MBs and MBPs.

Is it me, or did this all suddenly become way more over-designed/over-engineered than it needs to be? The gestures sound great on paper, but as for actual practice... um, no. Thank you.

They otherwise look nice, and for what it's worth the cases are made from whole blocks of aluminum here in the U.S. (yeah, something made in the U.S. for a change!) so they have no seams or joins. Just joints for the hinge mount, holes for ports, that sort of thing.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jackoverfull View Post
    in the macbook there seems to be a broadcom card (oh no: not another one!), still no idea about the pro. i have a strong feeling that something like ndiswrapper will be required.
    The wl driver ought to support it.

Beans

I just got my macbook today and here is what I have found:

rEFIt 0.11 currently will not boot another partition. However the subversion repository for rEFIt has updates that appear to support the new hardware. No idea when the new version will be build/released, so I ended up using rEFIt for the partition tool, then booting into ubuntu by holding down alt during boot and selecting the "Windows" drive.

I installed the 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 beta. The regular install cd appeared to work just fine, but I ended up using the alternative cd (stupidly hoped for LVM). To make the alternative cd boot, I had to disable the framebuffer with the "nofb" option, otherwise I would hang on a black screen before install.

What works "out of the box": (quotes due to lots of package upgrades from iso)
    * nvidia chipset - just use the restricted drivers tool for nvidia 177
    * wireless - worked out of the box, no problems, no restricted drivers
    * suspend - takes about 15-30 seconds to wake up, but everything works.
    * bluetooth - works

What doesn't work:
    * sound - alsa seems to recognize the card as nvidia alc885, but no sound.
    * mouse - Trackpad and left click work fine, changes for right click/scrolling listed here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...Fix%20Touchpad do not work. Errors about the mouse not being recognized by the synaptic driver.

Another thing to note, right now my system only recognizes 2.7Gb of ram. From what I have read this is a cpu limit when in 32-bit mode in combination with part of the ram being shared with the integrated video card.

Mouse occasionally stops responding for a few seconds, but I've experienced the same behaviour with OS X. Mildly annoying.

I'll post more updates as I have them. Hopefully someone else is working on this and will post here too.

-David
    Last edited by waldobeer; October 19th, 2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: suspend, mem, mouse freeze, touchpad link, bluetooth, sound update

Beans

Glad to hear it booted!

> * mouse - Trackpad and left click work fine, changes for right click/scrolling [...] do not work. Errors about the mouse not being recognized by the synaptic driver.

And most likely the bcm5974 driver does not recognize the trackpad, either. It would be enormously helpful if you would like to post the output of the commands listed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=4. With that information, we can proactively fix a lot of problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    The wl driver ought to support it.
    with or without a windows driver/firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by waldobeer View Post
    I just got my macbook today and here is what I have found:

rEFIt 0.11 currently will not boot another partition. However the subversion repository for rEFIt has updates that appear to support the new hardware. No idea when the new version will be build/released, so I ended up using rEFIt for the partition tool, then booting into ubuntu by holding down alt during boot and selecting the "Windows" drive.
    better than nothing, i guess…

I installed the 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 beta.
    shouldn't a 64 bit version be a more appropriate choice, unless you need the 32 bit one?

* nvidia chipset - just use the restricted drivers tool for nvidia 177

* wireless - worked out of the box, no problems, no restricted drivers

and in the mb this reportedly is a broadcom card!
    * suspend - takes about 15-30 seconds to wake up, but everything works.
    * bluetooth - works

* sound - alsa seems to recognize the card as nvidia alc885, but no sound.

but maybe a bit of tuning is enough to make alsa work, if the card is recognized…

* mouse - Trackpad and left click work fine
    that's enough for starting, at least for me.

Errors about the mouse not being recognized by the synaptic driver.
    what do you mean?

Another thing to note, right now my system only recognizes 2.7Gb of ram. From what I have read this is a cpu limit when in 32-bit mode in combination with part of the ram being shared with the integrated video card.
    maybe with a 64 bit os…

Mouse occasionally stops responding for a few seconds, but I've experienced the same behaviour with OS X. Mildly annoying.

Beans

Hi all!

Would this page [1] from www.ifixit.com be of any help? There are some part numbers listed.

I would like to ask about whether one could use Samsung memory SODIMMS (2GB 2Rx8 PC2 - 5300S - 555 - 12 - E3 (CE6) in a new MacBookPro.

Regards, Nikos

[1] http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Lo...ody/Page-8#top

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    It would be enormously helpful if you would like to post the output of the commands listed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=4. With that information, we can proactively fix a lot of problems.
    Yes please! I would particularly like to know the version number of the machine, and some of the specifics of the hardware components.

Quote Originally Posted by jackoverfull View Post
    with or without a windows driver/firmware?
    No (separate) firmware needed. Broadcom recently released the windows driver components as a Linux driver (with a binary blob in there.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    Would this page [1] from www.ifixit.com be of any help? There are some part numbers listed.
    Thanks, ifixit has been useful in the past, by identifying the trackpad chip to be the same in the iphone and macbook air models. So far I did not see this chip amongst their listed numbers, though. They will most likely put more information up there eventually.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast