Thread: What is last version without Zeitgeist

Beans

What is last version without Zeitgeist

Ubuntu is great, but I would prefer to use an older version without Zeitgeist.
    What is the most recent version without this feature? Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is last version without Zeitgeist

It would be a version that has long been out of support (life). Most likely 10.10.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What is last version without Zeitgeist

Quote Originally Posted by animado View Post
    Ubuntu is great, but I would prefer to use an older version without Zeitgeist.
    What is the most recent version without this feature? Thanks
    1. Are you sure you mean Zeitgeist? That's only a backend system that enumerates how often you access files and programs and stores that information in your home directory, so that other programs can behave a bit more intelligently and allow you to search for something you accessed "last week" for instance, or allow quick access to "that file I open all the time". Zeitgeist data only goes to your home directory, not to the Internet.

2. If you don't use the Unity desktop or any programs that take advantage of it, you can remove it. Just like any other component of the Linux desktop.

3. You can also disable it in the Privacy control panel.

4. You might be able to use a 12-year-old version of Windows, but this isn't Windows - anything before 2012 is no longer supported, so one does not simply "use an old version of Ubuntu".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.