Thread: I may need to temporarily stop testing 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down I may need to temporarily stop testing 13.04.

Had to switch my Cell Phone Provider from Verizon Wireless to Sprint after I had a Disagreement with Verizon about Data Overages with my Verizon IPhone 5, I currently do NOT have a Personal Hotspot for my new Sprint IPhone 5 and as a result may need to temporarily stop testing 13.04 until I can get one added to my new Sprint IPhone 5. Just FYI.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: I may need to temporarily stop testing 13.04.

Problem Solved, I called Sprint and had them add-on their 6 GB Personal Hotspot.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: I may need to temporarily stop testing 13.04.

Data download limits held back my testing. I have had to increase/change my arrangement with my ISP.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Data download limits held back my testing. I have had to increase/change my arrangement with my ISP.

Regards.
    With as many machines as I am running/updating/upgrading/testing , I really have to pay the piper. However.. I have a lot of hot-spots about this area which defray those costs. Every little bit helps. I really have to work a budget here. Updating and upgrading Ubuntu is not for free but it is all worth while as I see it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ventrical, it sounds like you need something like apt-cacher-NG, you just download the updates once, and store them on a central system, then install the updates on other system from your central repository.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    ventrical, it sounds like you need something like apt-cacher-NG, you just download the updates once, and store them on a central system, then install the updates on other system from your central repository.

Aww .. geee.. yes .. you are right! But I have different installs at different stages .. meaning that I may update one install on one day but not all installs everyday. So would there not be a syncing problem here?

(reason) The reason I do not update all systems in unison is that I like to allow a current install go through an aging process for a few days or weeks .. and then update ..so I assume there would definitely be holes if I used a central repo. This gives me a better before and after perspective with installs running at different stages of development.

However, I will look into your suggestion.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

What does apt-cacher offer that a simple caching HTTP proxy like squid wouldn't do?

I used to do a lot of Debian testing netinstalls at a previous job, and we simply had a squid proxy on the network, which, over time, accumulated most of the common packages in its cache.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro

From Installing squid:

"The feasibility of caching depends on two or more users visiting the same page while the object is still on disk."

This has saved me a lot of time. The apt-cache and squid alternatives to creating a central repository would of course save some bandwidth with a normal network but not with the way my network is setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    What does apt-cacher offer that a simple caching HTTP proxy like squid wouldn't do?

I used to do a lot of Debian testing netinstalls at a previous job, and we simply had a squid proxy on the network, which, over time, accumulated most of the common packages in its cache.
    squid or varnish should also work just fine. If I recall correctly the main difference is retrieval speed where apt-cacher / apt-cacher-ng has specialized only in .deb packages. Just make sure that the cache is large enough if you are using squid or varnish, it needs to be big enough to handle a few updates. If you are doing a network installation, then it needs to be large enough to handle the whole system.
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; December 31st, 2012 at 10:42 PM.