Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Well, i too have same problem regarding the shutdown now. Previously, when i had no programs installed(not even the additional drivers), the shutdown worked fine. Now i guess after installation of additional drivers and lamp server using following link, i have to make a hard shutdown hitting the power button for few seconds...
    http://www.unixmen.com/install-lamp-...erick-meerkat/
    I guess after installation of additional drivers, the problem occurred...and maybe the installation of lamp has something to do too....but i am not sure coz i have installed alot of apps in past two days...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone but if you have an ATI / AMD graphics card I suspect there is an issue with the driver.

I say this as my desktop is connected to my screen via a HDMI connection. When ever I bootup this connection gets dropped and if I then shut down it hangs. However if I log out then in again, the HDMI connection is re-established and if I then shut down, there is no problem.

I have no clue what this means in term of where precisely the issue lies but hopefully it will point someone in the right direction
    Laptop : Acer Aspire 5920G Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 4GB DDR2, NVidia GeForce 8600GT, 500GB HDD
    Desktop : Intel Core i7 930 overclocked to 4GHz, 6GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X, 2TB + 2TB + 300GB HDD & 60GB SDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee23 View Post
    I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone but if you have an ATI / AMD graphics card I suspect there is an issue with the driver.
    I do have an ATI Radeon graphics card so maybe there is an issue with the driver too. WHenever i try to install the ATI / AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver(post-release-updates), i end up getting an error that it cannot be installed.

Moreover, if i hit the power button to shut down, the machine shuts down normally. However, only if i hit the icon at top right of notifications and select shut down from there, it takes forever for my machine to halt. I guess its a bug...

Beans

I had the same problem, locks up when restarting or shutdown. I even reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 and still did it even with open source video drivers. I am now using Xubuntu 12.04 and so far have no problems, no freezing at shutdown and have the proprietary drivers installed. I think Unity still is too buggy and causes the problem.

Beans

a new one:

two identical laptops (acer aspire with 5470 ati/amd graphic).
    they've been bougth at the same day at the same vendor.

I've installed ubuntu amd64 simultaneously on both laptop.
    I can not see, that I made different steps.

but one laptop works fine.
    the other one can not suspend to RAM - it will freeze.

this is strange to me. But maybe I made something different which I'm not aware of?

btw - I can not install the updated driver.

cheerio - no-thing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by livewire94 View Post
    I had the same problem, locks up when restarting or shutdown. I even reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 and still did it even with open source video drivers. I am now using Xubuntu 12.04 and so far have no problems, no freezing at shutdown and have the proprietary drivers installed. I think Unity still is too buggy and causes the problem.
    I'm also using Xubuntu 12.04, and it definitely still freezes on shutdown.

What I'm seeing is that the majority of people think it's the Nvidia driver. My question is: does the driver cause this issue on other builds, or is it something about the 12.04 base that's unique and doesn't want to play? This may very well be a combination of things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    I do have an ATI Radeon graphics card so maybe there is an issue with the driver too. WHenever i try to install the ATI / AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver(post-release-updates), i end up getting an error that it cannot be installed.

Moreover, if i hit the power button to shut down, the machine shuts down normally. However, only if i hit the icon at top right of notifications and select shut down from there, it takes forever for my machine to halt. I guess its a bug...
    I have the same shut down issues with 12.04 and I am using the Radeon ATI driver (6800) (and I also can not install the post release version). When I use shutdown -P [some time later] - the computer is still hanging the next morning. I'll try the suggestions on the thread tonight and report back
    Last edited by GreggC; May 15th, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Same here with the post release update on the ATI / AMD driver
    Laptop : Acer Aspire 5920G Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 4GB DDR2, NVidia GeForce 8600GT, 500GB HDD
    Desktop : Intel Core i7 930 overclocked to 4GHz, 6GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X, 2TB + 2TB + 300GB HDD & 60GB SDD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spirosbond View Post
    First of all, I noticed that the freezes appeared only if you wait sometime (minimum 5mins) before you do a shutdown/restart.
    My graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 Graphics and I downloaded the latest drivers from here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I read that you have NVIDIA so you should try to do the same, with the official drivers (if any).
    Try this!
    I installed the latest drivers from the above site for my card and the problem is fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Quote Originally Posted by spirosbond View Post
    Try this!
    I installed the latest drivers from the above site for my card and the problem is fixed.
    Thanks! - it worked for me too!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast