Thread: SolusOS 2 Alpha with Gala WM and...

Beans

SolusOS 2 Alpha with Gala WM and...

Base: Debian Wheezy
    WM: Gala
    Panel: SolusOS Gnome2 Panel
    Launcher: Cardapio and Slingshot
    Theme: Jellybean from Noobslab
    Icons: SolusOS

Note the way the shadows are, which comes from Gala WM.
    Only Gala is installed, and there is no Pantheon desktop or Pantheon session.

Good day!
    Ch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 3rd, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SolusOS 2 Alpha with Gala WM and...

Very nice. I'm a big SolusOS fan. I like what I see there, Chdslv

Are Gala and Slingshot in the SolusOS/Debian repos?

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    Very nice. I'm a big SolusOS fan. I like what I see there, Chdslv

Are Gala and Slingshot in the SolusOS/Debian repos?.
    No, they are not. You have to make SolusOS read ppas. Then, you have to add eOS ppa to get at Gala. You could install the new Slingshot from the same ppa, but I like the old one and had downloaded the .deb files for both 32 and 64 bit ones. To get some needed files, I added the whole Ubuntu precise repos, updated it and then installed those dependencies. At one place, I did sudo apt-get -f install without a name after. Once, everything is installed, you give directions to gnome-session to read Gala, instead the Gnome-wm.

The result is fabulous. I just made a note to Ikey. That guy is very good!
    I won't do anything to harm his distro! That's one heck of a distro, really!

Beans

Nice work Gala is a nice WM but unfortunately uses libmutter,
    therefore still requires hardware acceleration. SolusOS 2 will be
    using a modified metacity (in future ISO's)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikeydoherty View Post
    Nice work Gala is a nice WM but unfortunately uses libmutter,
    therefore still requires hardware acceleration. SolusOS 2 will be
    using a modified metacity (in future ISO's)
    Glad that you liked it!
    Of course, I am waiting for SolusOS 2, just like a lot of us. One thing I found out is that we could add Ubuntu ppas to SolusOS.

By the way, I did this just for fun. SolusOS has its own eye-candy and is faster.

Hope you are happy with your new job too.

Good luck!

Ch
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 4th, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Beans

Guys,

Even though, Ikey calls his excellent distro SolusOS 2 Alpha as an alpha, it is a fully fledged working distro. Try it, if you haven't. You'd be surprised at the beauty and the snappiness of it. And, it has the Gnome 2 panel, and not something trying to act like the Gnome 2 panel and cannot ever be!

Ikey's next creation would be a sensational one.

Good day to you all!

PS: I did this adding Gala, etc just for fun, but not to make a working distro. What I wanted was to find a way to safely install ppas in Debian. The other Debian distro I respect is Crunchbang.
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 5th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just remember that the current SolusOS 2 alpha is a dead project (based on Debian). SolusOS 2 is now going in another direction, no longer being a Debian based distro. There is no alpha for the new SolusOS 2 yet.

But yes, the current SolusOS 2 alpha, though a dead project, still works flawlessly.

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    Just remember that the current SolusOS 2 alpha is a dead project (based on Debian). SolusOS 2 is now going in another direction, no longer being a Debian based distro. There is no alpha for the new SolusOS 2 yet.

But yes, the current SolusOS 2 alpha, though a dead project, still works flawlessly..
    Yes, I know. Thanks!
    The current SolusOS 2 Alpha is a real distribution, even though it is alpha. The next SolusOS 2 would be completely different. This Alpha works flawlessly and is a rolling one, as far as we can get the updates/upgrades from Debian. I'd get Ubuntu updates/upgrades too. It would be a unique distro, and I am going to keep it.

Beans

You know, Uncle Spellbinder, I was thinking what I was doing all this time fighting Unity, Gnome shell and trying out Cinnamon, etc when Ikey had released SolusOS 2 Alpha and I had it all the time.

Ikey had given Gnome 2 and surely is maintaining it. No many fingers to do a simple thing as in Gnome3-panel etc. The simple & easy Gnome 2 panel. While, playing with Gala and Slingshot (old and new), I already knew what I was missing, the snappy SolusOS 2, okay, Alpha.

And, ppas can be added too.

I wonder how the new SolusOS 2 would be with PiSi and all.
    Whatever it is, Ikey would bring out a lovely distro.
    SolusOS would not be based on Debian, but would be based on SolusOS. Ikey is making a repo.

I am going to discover SolusOS 2 again, and I know it is going to be jolly time.

Take care!

Ch
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 5th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Beans

Guys,

SolusOS 2 Alpha5 is a superb distro, and if you are interested, please have a look here; http://main.solusos.com/showthread.p...1947#post21947

it is snappy, bug-less and safe.

This time, its done without Gala, and using only Ikey's Metacity. The Slingshot launcher had worked superbly with SolusOS 2 Alpha 5, updated and upgraded to today's repo levels.

Good day!

Ch
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 6th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.