Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Linux distro: Chakra

Beans

Re: New Linux distro: Chakra

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Well that's what I mean. It made almost all of my config files cease to function. An update that does that is going to irk me.

But then again, that's a part of the Arch way. You're expected to take responsibility for any and all updates and do the reading (I didn't, freaked out, acted kinda dumb). I would have given up ENTIRELY if I hadn't been acclimated to Arch's system.

If I had installed Arch with a LiveCD that took care of the grunt work of configuration, when the new X came out, you can bet I'd have had absolutely no clue what was going wrong and would have likely scrapped it.
    Meh..

As someone posted in the Arch forums, Arch is Linux + a package manager. Botched updates are not Arch's responsability (IMO), since they just package the software as is. A botched xorg-server version should be X.Org's responsability.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    that doesn't answer my question. once i get my computer setup within the first hour of installing, i generally don't add anything. so how is arch going to make my life better when i'm just doing the same old things anyway?
    It isn't. Use what works for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

that doesn't answer my question. once i get my computer setup within the first hour of installing, i generally don't add anything. so how is arch going to make my life better when i'm just doing the same old things anyway?
    Only you can answer this, of course.

Have you ever tried Arch?
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arch might be good for the advanced user with KDE 4.
    Macintosh! E-Mail me at macubuntu05@gmail.com
    My website is...
    http://tomgilling.110mb.com
    please remember to check it out and sub my RSS!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
    I don't categorize myself as an advanced user and I managed to install Arch+Kdemod on my system. Dear God, Arch is a truly simple and beautiful OS. Chakra shows a lot of promise, no doubt. Its a good platform for users to dive into Arch I believe.
    [Arch + KDE]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
    It would but advanced in that post more like "advanced". You do actually not require any specific more skill to use Arch, just learn a few things (for me it took 2days) and now Arch is something I wont ever leave before I find something better which I doubt for at least a year!
    Last edited by gjoellee; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Well you're a flaming douchebag
    was i rude to you? no. and yes, i was being sarcastic. you could have just ignored it and moved on. it was not a personal attack on anyone. but i guess you saw it differently. alot of people here know my posting style, and you just didn't get it.

i am sorry for offending you my lord oh linux god.

Beans

was i rude to you? no. and yes, i was being sarcastic. you could have just ignored it and moved on. it was not a personal attack on anyone. but i guess you saw it differently. alot of people here know my posting style, and you just didn't get it.

i am sorry for offending you my lord oh linux god.
    err...wrong thread?
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

I installed Arch a couple of weeks ago to see what the fuss was about. I didn't know about Chakra then, but it would have been nice just to test the distro and kick the tires.

If I had liked what I saw in Chakra I'm sure I would have installed Arch the "Arch way." I installed Arch using the Beginner's Guide before I knew about Chakra.

I do like Pacman very much. I had installed the LXDE group, then decided I didn't like it a day later. I used pacman -Rs lxde and everything I had added that related to LXDE and wasn't used by another installed package was gone. I was impressed.

I'm still learning Arch, but so far I like it. There is a bit of config file editing which I'm not crazy about, but I guess that's the price we pay for knowing/learning the system.

Beans

chakra is a good livecd of arch, but is not useable for me as an install alternative. New kde 4 on Ubuntu replaces need for chakra for me now or kde-mod, but it was a good attempt. Unfortunately, the installer is bugged or never works for me regardless of system i try installing it on.

Arch is nice, but like wolfen says, I can already do all in Ubuntu with apt. pacman has some advantages in usability versus apt seeing as you typically install with pacman. No real gui package manager alternative like Ubuntu has in synaptic.

But in all an OK add. Just too bad you cant install it (chakra). - Unless anyone here has had better luck.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast