Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount partitions via fstab?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mount partitions via fstab?

I have a Ubuntu 12.10 install, and I've noticed that it mounts a partition at startup which is listed on /etc/mtab and has no entry in /etc/fstab. After a bit of digging, I've noticed that System Settings has an entry which sets this partition as "Automount on Login", but it appears there is no way to set the default permissions.

Does anyone know how to add this partition to fstab without causing any unforeseeable problems?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Beans

Re: Mount partitions via fstab?

After a bit of digging, I've noticed that System Settings has an entry which sets this partition as "Automount on Login"
    Where is that exactly - give the whole path to wherever this is in "System Settings".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Where is that exactly - give the whole path to wherever this is in "System Settings".
    Sorry for the delay. This last week has been a bit hectic.

The "System Settings" path is: "System settings" -> "Removable devices".

Update: I've just noticed that unsetting the option to mount a partition ends up having no effect on how Ubuntu automatically mounts partitions.
    Last edited by GreatBunzinni; May 16th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the links. Nevertheless, my main concern isn't about how to set fstab, but about what steps should be taken to avoid any possible clash between how those partitions are currently being mounted and adding them to fstab. In other words, how to add this partition to fstab without causing any unforeseeable problems. Simply adding entries to fstab sounds a bit too risky.

Beans

The "System Settings" path is: "System settings" -> "Removable devices".
    There is no such path in Ubuntu at least not Ubuntu 12.10. Are you using Kubuntu?

I don't use KDE so I personally have no idea what if any interaction there is between "removeable drives" and fstab. My guess would be none but that's clearly a guess.

Isn't there a Kubuntu subforum section here that you could post this question?

Beans
    Distro

There is no such path in Ubuntu at least not Ubuntu 12.10. Are you using Kubuntu?
    I believe it's Ubuntu with the KDE desktop installed afterwards.

I don't use KDE so I personally have no idea what if any interaction there is between "removeable drives" and fstab. My guess would be none but that's clearly a guess.

Isn't there a Kubuntu subforum section here that you could post this question?
    The desktop environment for me is a non-issue. If it isn't possible to configure how Ubuntu automatically mounts drives without running Unity then I can always fire up Unity specifically for this purpose.

Beans

If it isn't possible to configure how Ubuntu automatically mounts drives without running Unity then I can always fire up Unity specifically for this purpose.
    There is very much a way to configure how Ubuntu / Lubuntu / Xubuntu and I would guess how the majority of other DE's automatically mounts a partition at boot and it requires you to edit fstab.

The specific question here however is an interesting feature of KDE that allows the user to apparently go to a utility and select to have ceratin partitions that are not part of the base install mount at the user's login not at boot. The phrase you used was: " I've noticed that System Settings has an entry which sets this partition as "Automount on Login".

I personally am not a KDE user so I have no idea what that's doing and if it conflicts with in any way the fstab method which is why I suggested posting your question in the KDE or Kubuntu part of this form if we have one.
    Last edited by Morbius1; May 16th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

There is very much a way to configure how Ubuntu / Lubuntu / Xubuntu and I would guess how the majority of other DE's automatically mounts a partition at boot and it requires you to edit fstab.
    You've misread the question. It wasn't about whether it was possible to use fstab to mount a partition. The question, which was presented from the start of this thread, was how to add this partition to fstab without causing any unforeseeable problems, as Ubuntu was already mounting the same partition through a different method.

The specific question here however is an interesting feature of KDE that allows the user to apparently go to a utility and select to have ceratin partitions that are not part of the base install mount at the user's login not at boot. The phrase you used was: " I've noticed that System Settings has an entry which sets this partition as "Automount on Login".

I personally am not a KDE user so I have no idea what that's doing and if it conflicts with in any way the fstab method which is why I suggested posting your question in the KDE or Kubuntu part of this form if we have one.
    I've installed KDE only after this particular computer was already mounting that partition automatically. At that time, this computer was running Ubuntu with Unity as its default desktop environment. In other words, Ubuntu was already configured to automatically mount that partition without KDE being in the picture. KDE has nothing to do with this.

In addition, that setting appears to have no effect or influence on how Ubuntu automatically mounts a drive. Even when I disable that option, the drive keeps on being mounted automatically.

Beans
    Distro

In the event this information is useful to anyone, here's the mtab entry for the partition which is being automatically mounted.

Code:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/DATA fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0
    Update: it's a NTFS partition.
    Last edited by GreatBunzinni; May 17th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast