Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I understand now why Linux will never be 'the preferred OS'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I understand now why Linux will never be 'the preferred OS'

Quote Originally Posted by hazard-droid View Post
    Ubuntu: Only Reboots If You Update Kernel.
    even that is not necessary: https://www.ubuntu.com/server/livepatch
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

"the prefered os "...but for WHOM?
    Most of the linux users believe in using what works best for what they are trying to do. If windows works better for you, hey good for you. If not, you have CHOICE of using linux and other way around.
    Having said that...
    Most of the issues associated with linux are due to third party drivers (for profit cops deeply linked to MS). We can debate if it's right/legal/ethical/moral or not but both sides will have fair arguments.
    Also, since past few years "just works" shouldn't be linked to windows. It requires lot more attention to run instead of getting out of the way. And every update rolls back some of your customization. So, windows can't win that argument.

Regardless, you use what works for you. And that's why most of the servers run linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hazard-droid View Post
    Windows: I Had A New Problem With My Internet Connections Every Day.
    Ubuntu: I Do Not Have Any Internet Problems With My PC Since I Came To Ubuntu (3 Or 4 Months)

Windows: Found A New Virus Every Week On My PC.
    Ubuntu: Didn't Found Any Virus Yet.

Windows: There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows.
    Linux: and perhaps 40 for Linux

Windows: MY PC's Built-in Speaker Didn't Work At All Even The Drivers Were Up to Date.
    Ubuntu: Now It Works Great.

Windows: Filled My Hard Drive After Only One Or Two Updates.
    Ubuntu: Updated A lot OF Programs And It Didn't Even Fill Half OF It.

Windows: Slow On Low-End PC.
    Ubuntu: Works Like I Just Installed It.

Windows: You Need To Pay IF You Want To Use.
    Ubuntu: Downloaded IT Free From Its Official Site.

Windows: Needs Reboot After Update.
    Ubuntu: Only Reboots If You Update Kernel.

I Think That's Enough.
    Like the list a lot. My experience is also very favourable when compared with Windows. As I understand things, Ubuntu doesn't look for viruses, not being an anti-virus program but an OS. Developers issue many security updates, which I always install when issued. Do these help regarding viruses or just other types of threats?

Is there a database listing viruses that affect Linux? A very small risk apparently, but is it a risk that should be managed in some way? Don't open email attachments from unknown senders would be an obvious precaution. Are there others that should be taken? Or can we really not worry about viruses with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Viruses are a sub-category of malware / badware or whatever you want to call it. I don't think it's hugely important to know how many items fit into that category. E.g. ransomware and trojans aren't viruses, but you still don't want to get them.

I believe that following the security recommendations is the most important thing. They include being careful of what you open, run and install, and keeping your system up to date.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post

I believe that following the security recommendations is the most important thing. They include being careful of what you open, run and install, and keeping your system up to date.
    Thank you for the link which looks very interesting and helpful. I do always follow your specific items of advice above, so at least I have been doing those things during my 2 years with Ubuntu. My system runs beautifully, and I have never experienced any problems.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Red face Re: I understand now why Linux will never be 'the preferred OS'

Quote Originally Posted by atrab101 View Post
    Like the list a lot. My experience is also very favorable when compared with Windows. As I understand things, Ubuntu doesn't look for viruses, not being an anti-virus program but an OS. Developers issue many security updates, which I always install when issued. Do these help regarding viruses or just other types of threats?

Is there a database listing viruses that affect Linux? A very small risk apparently, but is it a risk that should be managed in some way? Don't open email attachments from unknown senders would be an obvious precaution. Are there others that should be taken? Or can we really not worry about viruses with Ubuntu?
    Yes, Security Updates Are Really Helpful To Remove Viruses And If Do Not Mass "Sudo Su" Or "Root" You Will Not Face Any Major Problems.
    And You Should Not About Worry About Viruses On Any Linux Distro Because They Fix Every New Found Virus In There Latest Updates.

Linux Viruses Info
    Last edited by vasa1; December 6th, 2017 at 06:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@hazard-droid

Will you please edit your post to remove the leading capitals on each word to bring it in line with standard English (US, UK or whatever. They are all the same.) The capitalization as you have it is distracting and irritating.

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Hi all OP here,

Thanks for all your comments, it really sheds a light on your Linux experiences.
    I can see that while for 'some' computers there may be challenges and tweaks required to ensure everything works as it should. Unfortunately I think I am one of the unlucky ones having to tweak and frequent the forums (which I will have to do more as time permits)

I will give up on the idea of family members transitioning to linux. Perhaps there is a place for windows after all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Transitioning to linux isn't hard. I put my grandparents on it many months ago, maybe a year. I haven't heard a peep from them about the computer "problems" like I used to hear every couple weeks. That anecdotal experience tells me Linux is easier to use than Windows, also safer.

Really though it goes to how flexible people are. Everyone seems to forget that "It just works" on either Windows or Mac involved them learning the ins and outs for a long time to make that happen. But when they switch or try linux they give it 5 minutes and say to hell with it. In the end my personal experience is Linux makes more sense, is easier, and just works. I've used both Linux and Windows extensively over my life. Linux wins. Think outside the box and you would be amazed at the results.

Beans

You haven't made things easier for yourself by having a multitude of desktop environments:
    Code:
    cinnamon2d.desktop  cinnamon.desktop  kodi.desktop  plasma.desktop  ubuntu.desktop  ubuntu-xorg.desktop  xbmc.desktop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast