Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.04 Compiz, Unity freeze ups?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

13.04 Compiz, Unity freeze ups?

Hi all

Is anybody else experiencing random freeze ups in 13.04? I already had three so far on a previous stable system. I can still move the mouse but clicking on anything doesn't work and no keyboard input works.

Only way to get the system back is to hold in the power button for 5 seconds until the machine shuts down completely (bad for the hardware)...

Beans
    Distro

Re: 13.04 Compiz, Unity freeze ups?

Am I the only one experiencing these crashes?

I get a kernel panic now every so often as well...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Don't think I had that, but installing ati gfx drivers makes my comp not boot :/

i really hate typing on my phone...
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans

Mine freezed twice or thrice after the install... It seems the Unity is on the resource hungry side!! It uses 1.2Gb At the moment in ma system with a lot of processing power.... Definitely heavier than the GNOME-Shell.... When frozen or having any errror installing something just leave it as such and most of the time the system comes back to full response after a long pause... It worked for me...

Beans
    Distro

Good to know mine is not an isolated case (NikiNfOuR sorry that you also experience this). But yes, compiz and Xorg at times starts to consume massive amounts of RAM and CPU power. And at times then freezes up completely.

I have not tried to 'leave' it till it comes back before, will give that a go. How long do you typically have to leave it for though?

Is there any files or logs we can look in and provide to the devs to help troubleshoot this issue?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ppjdee View Post
    Don't think I had that, but installing ati gfx drivers makes my comp not boot :/

i really hate typing on my phone...
    Unfortunately I also have an ati display card in my laptop (never ever will I get amd, ati or Broadcom components in any of my machines).

Mine doesn't lock up but I get the AMD blip in the bottom right of the screen (even though according to the AMD site my chipset should be supported by the drivers). I am able to remove that via the shell script on the wiki.

However I experience severe graphical glitches and tearing when using the ATI driver. There has been some major serious regressions in the last two Ubuntu releases with regards to graphical stability...

Beans

Am having an Nvidia 650M in ma lappy, since there is bumblebee to my needs i am happy But compared to my 3 and a half battery backup on my ubuntu 12.10 gnome remix edition this is even lower !! just 2 and a half hours and maybe 3!! It can't be my lappy cos it showed better and is showing better in GNOME!! So am going to open a thread with ma to do lists too.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I'm having the same freeze ups on my desktop. I have a nvidia card. I am using Xubuntu 13.04
    Last edited by jediknight9999; April 26th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yesterday I did a clean installation of 13.04 and so far I've had two lockups. In earlier versions (Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 beta) I've had the same problem several times and it's really annoying to say the least.

If Unity (or whatever is freezing) freezes and won't respond to any mouse or keyboard input the best thing to do is switch to console mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1 usually works for me), restart LightDM (sudo service lightdm restart) and go back to the Desktop mode (Ctrl+Alt+F7) so you can login and continue with what you were doing. To me this looks like a better and safer way then doing a hard reset...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
    Yesterday I did a clean installation of 13.04 and so far I've had two lockups. In earlier versions (Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 beta) I've had the same problem several times and it's really annoying to say the least.

If Unity (or whatever is freezing) freezes and won't respond to any mouse or keyboard input the best thing to do is switch to console mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1 usually works for me), restart LightDM (sudo service lightdm restart) and go back to the Desktop mode (Ctrl+Alt+F7) so you can login and continue with what you were doing. To me this looks like a better and safer way then doing a hard reset...
    I'm experiencing the freezing on my Dell Latitude E6510 laptop with an i5 and nVidia GPU (01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [NVS 3100M] (rev a2))

This happened after upgrading from 12.10 and after a clean install.

I mostly (always?) have it lock up when I bring up one of the overlay screens (example, ALT F2, or Windows key). It doesn't do it all of the time.

Every freeze with the exception of 2 (experienced at least 10) required me to hard reset the computer. Even CTRL ALT F2 wouldn't work. The 2 exceptions, the desktop flashed, and then reloaded back to my running workspace (didn't have to login) followed by the bug submit wizard displaying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast