Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why is skype still available for Linux

Beans

Re: why is skype still available for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by c2tarun View Post
    Hi friends,
    As far as I can recall MS never did anything for open source community.
    Au contraire, it used to be that you couldn't write to an NTFS file system without risk. Microsoft helped fix that up.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Hmm... this is an interesting fact. I thought Microsoft is kind of anti-linux but they are just money magnets no matter from where.
    As the saying goes, he capitalist would sell you the rope to hang himself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi friends,
    This question might sound little weird, but why is skype still available for Linux? Microsoft bought skype two years ago. As far as I can recall MS never did anything for open source community. I also don't think they did anything for Linux (especially after huge rumors that they are porting MS-Office to linux). So why is skype still available for linux?
    Microsoft has contributed to the linux kernel. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...cal-linux-2632

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cpatrick08 View Post
    Microsoft has contributed to the linux kernel. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...cal-linux-2632
    Only for hyper -v drivers, which are for running Linux in virtual machines under Windows, so it is kind of self serving. It is a way to keep entreprises on Windows which may otherwise migrate to Linux.

Moreover, according to wikipedia

"Microsoft was forced to submit the code when it was discovered that Microsoft had incorporated a Hyper-V network driver with GPL-licensed components statically linked to closed-source binaries"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Au contraire, it used to be that you couldn't write to an NTFS file system without risk. Microsoft helped fix that up.
    Well NTFS is MS's proprietary file system. How is it a contribution to the open source community?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Well NTFS is MS's proprietary file system. How is it a contribution to the open source community?
    The contributions are open source. I'm part of the community, and I use those contributions. Ergo, a contribution to the open source community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    The contributions are open source. I'm part of the community, and I use those contributions. Ergo, a contribution to the open source community.
    That may be convenient for you, but it is not a contribution to open source. You only need it for using Windows.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 8th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Microsoft is a business that makes business decisions. Skype for Linux is alive because they believe it's good for Microsoft. Office for Linux hasn't happened because Office is intended to be a product that keeps people on Windows, not encourage them to use Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    That may be convenient for you, but it is not a contribution to open source. You only need it for using Windows.
    ntfs is an old Linux project that was forked as ntfs-3g. ntfs-3g is cross-platform and licensed under the GNU GPL; the package is maintained by Ubuntu, so it most definitely is open-source.

Reading and writing to other file systems is a legitimate, useful, and sometimes essential part of Linux. I suppose you can try to get that changed if you want. And by the way, Microsoft helped make ntfs-3g possible, for which I am grateful.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; June 9th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Cause they make more money by people on linux paying to use it?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast