Thread: Is this a bug I should report?

Beans

Is this a bug I should report?

Hi, I run a 20.04LTS installation on two different SSD drives, where one contains boot and swap, and the other is mounted as home. After a hardware upgrade the system booted and went to the login screen just fine, but went into an eternal wrong password loop. I have seen bug reports for that loop on other versions and Linux flavours. I could login via console login (ctrl alt F3 i think), and found out that home wasn't there - /home was just an empty folder. I realized that this had to have a connection to my hardware upgrade and double checked and found that I had not connected the SATA cable to the second SSD, hence the system booted with an FSTAB pointing to drive for /home which didn't exist.

After connecting the drive, the system functions just fine.

My question is, should this be reported as a bug (apparently, you cannot login via graphical interface when home suddenly is gone/empty - don't know if this is reproduceable), and if so, how (it isn't like I can point out a package?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is this a bug I should report?

Not a bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

A gui login requires temporary work files to be created & written to; those files are in $HOME or the user directory. If the files cannot be created/modified, the login will fail & the user is logged out (no error message).

That is expected behavior.

If a text terminal login is tried, it should succeed (no work files are needed there) for exploration & correction of whatever out-of-space error condition exists (other users of the system, if they exist and have space in their $HOME or user directories will still be able to login via gui)

Beans

OK thank you all for your advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

To avoid that specific issue, here's what I do -
    Keep the home directory on the boot drive, but link (ln -s) to the typical home folders (Documents, Downloads, etc) on the second drive.