Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux: It's a virus I tell ya!

Beans

Arch Linux: It's a virus I tell ya!

I think it's safe to say that Arch is easily the second most loved distro on this forum after the obvious Ubuntu. Loads of people testify to trying it out once and never looking back, the thing getting named a gazillion times in every distro recommendation thread and so on.

I thought about playing with it myself many times but never really did since I didn't have the disk space to spare and wasn't feeling comfortable with it replacing my Ubuntu/Mint just yet. Now finally I got my hands on this old 60 gig HD and decided to dedicate it to trying out new distros.

To make it easy for myself, I partition the thing back in Mint, then boot Arch and start the installation with the Arch wiki open on my laptop. To my amazement I had a fully functional gnome environment up in less than 2 hours and I already knew most of the things explained in the wiki.

I really like what I've seen so far! It's just a nice feeling to be sitting on top of a system that I've put together myself even though I'm making it look just a Mint. I had moved to Mint for its good looks in the first place anyway. A very nice touch that even Mint Menu is available from AUR as well. Arch is notably faster too. Lastly I wonder how the rolling release is going to treat me. I was getting quite tired of reinstalling every 6 months to get the new stuff but I'm a tad afraid of possible instabilities in the bleeding edge software too.

It was meant to just be something for me to thinker with on the side but I think I've caught the Arch virus and it's getting bombarded into my main OS at an alarming rate.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; September 1st, 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Arch questions go in the Arch forum.
    Full time open source software developer. Projects:
    Wakame-vdc: Virtual data center. Community: Wakame Users Group
    OpenVNet: Virtual networking using OpenFlow
    Sinatra-browse: Parameter declaration framework and browsable API for ruby Sinatra.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: It's a virus I tell ya!

That's funny, I finally got some free time and decided to try arch just yesterday. It didn't last one day. My only reaction was: "Yeah, so it this what people are making so much fuss about?" Don't get me wrong, from what I could see, Arch seems to be a good distro, but nothing special. Back to Ubuntu.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

"arch, arch, arch!"

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    That's funny, I finally got some free time and decided to try arch just yesterday. It didn't last one day. My only reaction was: "Yeah, so it this what people are making so much fuss about?" Don't get me wrong, from what I could see, Arch seems to be a good distro, but nothing special. Back to Ubuntu.
    hilarious! I had a very similar experience; even left Arch installed for 3 or 4 months and played around with it a few times but all the hype only lead to disappointment. Great distro but perhaps I had too high expectations and it just didn't live up to satisfy.

I would say now a days must distros are just as good as the others, I prefer Ubuntu over all.
    Last edited by HappinessNow; September 1st, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Metallion View Post
    I think it's safe to say that Arch is easily the second most loved distro on this forum
    I don't.
    Arch simply has a following of vociferous evangelists who like to tell everyone how snappily dressed the emperor is these days.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    It didn't last one day. My only reaction was: "Yeah, so it this what people are making so much fuss about?" Don't get me wrong, from what I could see, Arch seems to be a good distro, but nothing special. Back to Ubuntu.
    That's the point of Arch: KISS. Once you have installed you get a minimal but fully functional system, then you have to install the packages you really want/need. Building your system from the bottom to the top makes you learn a lot of things about your computer and OS.

OP:

Code:
    pacman -Ss bash completion

~/.bashrc:
    Code:
    if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
        . /etc/bash_completion
    fi

Lastly I wonder how the rolling release is going to treat me. I was getting quite tired of reinstalling every 6 months to get the new stuff but I'm a tad afraid of possible instabilities in the bleeding edge software too.
    Generally I have had verry few problems with it, but things can break when applications make large changes to the configuration format. For example when X11 switched to HAL/auto detect hardware insted of using /etc/X11/xorg.conf it caused the keyboard to die, but there is always a fix on the frount page of the arch website prittymuch instantly.Fixing the odd minor problem is still much easier than rebuilding the whole OS and recreating your custom configuration every 6 months just to have the latest softwere.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    That's the point of Arch: KISS. Once you have installed you get a minimal but fully functional system, then you have to install the packages you really want/need. Building your system from the bottom to the top makes you learn a lot of things about your computer and OS.
    That can be done with many distributions, so it's really no big deal.
    Tell me something truly unique that Arch has?

[silence]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Yeah indeed. That's why I think Arch would also look good on my CV. It clearly shows I have better than average linux knowledge.

OP:

Code:
    pacman -Ss bash completion

~/.bashrc:
    Code:
    if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
        . /etc/bash_completion
    fi
    Thanks mate, exactly what I was looking for.
    Full time open source software developer. Projects:
    Wakame-vdc: Virtual data center. Community: Wakame Users Group
    OpenVNet: Virtual networking using OpenFlow
    Sinatra-browse: Parameter declaration framework and browsable API for ruby Sinatra.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yeah indeed. That's why I think Arch would also look good on my CV. It clearly shows I have better than average linux knowledge.
    lol
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    That can be done with many distributions, so it's really no big deal.
    Tell me something truly unique that Arch has?

[silence]
    Rolling release, simplicity.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast