Thread: What is /lib/firmware?

Beans

What is /lib/firmware?

What does it mean to copy something as "/lib/firmware"? I'm trying to get my laptop to notice wireless networks by downloading a new header and image, but the file I was told to download first said to do it as "/lib/firmware". I don't understand this, what is a header and image anyway?

Beans

Re: What is /lib/firmware?

You put the file in (i.e. copy it to) the /lib/firmware directory.

I don't understand this, what is a header and image anyway?
    The image package has the kernel and the header package has the development files needed if one needs to build new kernel modules (which you probably do).

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsnip View Post
    What does it mean to copy something as "/lib/firmware"? I'm trying to get my laptop to notice wireless networks by downloading a new header and image, but the file I was told to download first said to do it as "/lib/firmware". I don't understand this, what is a header and image anyway?
    You sound awfully confused. I take it you're trying to install a newer version of Linux kernel to see if it fixes your Wi-Fi issues. It might very well do that (e.g. if your laptop is brand new and the old kernel simply doesn't have the required drivers) but that's not a guarantee.

It wouldn't hurt if you provided some specifics about the problem you're trying to solve.

Beans

Probably shouldn't have made a new thread... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2107810

I'm going to guess that you were using proprietary video drivers and that's why you got dumped in the terminal when trying to use a newer kernel. BTW, if that happens again, hold Shift after BIOS/POST screen to access the GRUB menu and boot into the older kernel that worked. A reinstall is not needed (this ain't Windows!).