Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenovo S12 freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lenovo S12 freeze

Just bought one of these netbooks, in the packaging there is an extra insert that mentions switching the SATA controller working mode to compatibility before installing a new OS from a windows XP disk, so it makes sense that compatibility mode makes a difference.

However, after installing Ubuntu 9.10 onto the netbook and having a problem with it freezing randomly and looking at this forum, I switched to compatibility mode and it is still freezing, although it seems to be freezing less often.

It always unfreezes with a touch of the mouse or keyboard, so it isn't terrible, but slightly annoying especially if you leave it copying data.

So, it hasn't completely gone away, but it is happening less often.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

same problem on my and my friend's lenovo s12, will try to change controller mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MRife View Post
    How do you like your S12? I am considering purchasing one. Other then the problems mentioned how is the linux compatibility? Anything you don't like about it?

Mark
    working everything, out of box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kron4eg View Post
    same problem on my and my friend's lenovo s12, will try to change controller mode
    just tested, it stopped to freeze, after I switched to Compatibility mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: Lenovo S12 freeze

Hi, a few days ago, i just bought the Lenovo S12 [Intel Atom]. wanted to try the Netbook remix, Live USB before going ahead with a full install. yes there are problems, it badly freezes, without even being able to get out of the GUI with ctrl+alt+f2-6 for shutting down at a command line, Key combinations for shut down also wont work, realy bad feeze. i have read now this thread, and want to ask you guys [or anyone else, with the Lenovo S12]: has the switching sata controller to Compatibility mode really solved things, does the freezing attacks really gone away after that, is that the whole issue?
    thanks for any help
    Last edited by Dedi Landsman; March 25th, 2010 at 06:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Guys from CentOS forum suggest to add noapic kernel option to get rid of freezes. Also, on some other forum I've seen noapic nolapic or noapic acpi=off options to completely solve this problem with Lenovo S12.

Beans

Compatibility mode for IDE does not help.
    Kernel option noapic acpi=off has perfectly solved an issue with sound freezes on Ubuntu 11.10.
    Thank you, guys!
    Last edited by luckyredhot; November 23rd, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12