Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans

Talking Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

Your new ac3 S/PDIF syntax works! Thanks

As a side note, I found one can experiment with ac3 type sources (many dvds) without a S/PDIF connection and only two speakers. While playing an ac3 multichannel source use "-channels 6 -af hrtf". Designed for headphones, this creates a virtual 6 channel surround environment.

Beans

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

I have added a small checkinstall section to the guide and I would be interested to hear any comments about it. I am not such big fan of checkinstall but I acknowledge that it has a place in putting MPlayer within the package management system of Ubuntu and allowing the installation of such programs as smplayer, the MPlayer plugin etc without overwriting the svn files with the older repository MPlayer.

In particular I am not all that happy with the requirement for the '--fstrans=no' option which has been an issue with checkinstall for a long time now but seems to have only bitten Ubuntu with some force since Intrepid Ibex.

Anyway a checkinstall section is in place now as an option.

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; November 21st, 2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typos
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Smile Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

I'm very happy to thank you. It's so clear and make me successfully
    install at once. Thanks again.

on the font, may you give more information.

Beans

Hi champkuo:

Quote Originally Posted by champkuo View Post
    I'm very happy to thank you. It's so clear and make me successfully install at once. Thanks again.
    on the font, may you give more information.
    Glad it ll worked out for you and I hope you enjoy this wonderful software. The font is required so MPlayer can create subtitles and for use with the on screen display. To quote the html docs:

You need to tell MPlayer which font to use to enjoy OSD and subtitles. Any TrueType font or special bitmap fonts will work. However, TrueType fonts are recommended as they look far better, can be properly scaled to the movie size and cope better with different encodings.

[...]

There are two ways to get TrueType fonts to work. The first is to pass the -font option to specify a TrueType font file on the command line. This option will be a good candidate to put in your configuration file (see the manual page for details). The second is to create a symlink called subfont.ttf to the font file of your choice.
    For this guide I chose the second option.

Andrew

Beans

OMG THANK YOU!! I had so much trouble getting mplayer to play MTS files cleanly and now it does just that!! If you were around I would kiss you. I used to get hardcore artifact problems when playing HD vids.

It plays slower than it should (fps is noticably lower) but I think that is because it's not accellerated?? The sound is perfect and in sync too.

Beans

Hi pmuzyk:

Quote Originally Posted by pmuzyk View Post
    OMG THANK YOU!! I had so much trouble getting mplayer to play MTS files cleanly and now it does just that!! If you were around I would kiss you. I used to get hardcore artifact problems when playing HD vids.
    It is my pleasure, and thanks for the 'virtual' kiss .

Andrew

Beans

I don't know why I can't find the checkinstall package again.(sudo apt-get install checkinstall). So that,I'm failed on the mplayer install more than 3 times except the first successful experience.

Please help me to find this package or how to dig it out from the successful mplayer installation.

Thanks for your kindly quick reply before.

Beans

Hi champkuo,

I don't know why I can't find the checkinstall package again.(sudo apt-get install checkinstall). So that,I'm failed on the mplayer install more than 3 times except the first successful experience

Please help me to find this package or how to dig it out from the successful mplayer installation.

Thanks for your kindly quick reply before.
    Sorry to hear you are having some trouble. Checkinstall is in the 'universe' repository and possibly you do not have this enabled in your copy of Ubuntu. The 4 main repositories are:

1. main - Supported by Canonical, this is the major part of the distribution.
    2. restricted - Software not licensed under the GPL or similar, supported by Canonical.
    3. universe - Software licensed under the GPL or similar, supported by users.
    4. multiverse - Software not licensed under the GPL or similar, supported by users.

To enable this, and any other repositories, go to System --> Administration --> Software Sources and give your password when asked. I have attached a screenshot to show what this dialogue box looks like. Make sure you have selected the 'universe' repository and then allow your list to be reloaded. Then:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install checkinstall
    should work fine .

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	software_sources.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	94542  

Beans

Andrew,I'd like to give you
    a deep kiss & with bear hugs. You're the best master on the website.

I follow your clear instruction and
    user friendly screen shot,and It's bingo soon.

Beans

Hi champkuo,

Andrew,I'd like to give you
    a deep kiss & with bear hugs. You're the best master on the website.
    There seems to be lot of kisses available in this thread at the moment . Good to hear you are on the path to having checkinstall available to you. 'Master' I most definitely am not, just an ordinary linux student same as you.

All the best,

Andrew

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast