Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cool Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Sorry for posting this if it is too 'newbie' or already answered elsewhere. I would truly appreciate the help.

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Do you have any idea where repositories are? Or is there any available at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Jaunty for PPC?
    Ubuntu is not a mission. It is an operating system. If Windows or OS X works for somebody, good for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Cam42 View Post
    Jaunty for PPC?
    Also interested, I am inheriting a dual G5 with 16Gigs of ram and scsi This machine needs Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Detailed instruction to install Ubuntu 8.04 on iBook G4

Quote Originally Posted by cruising View Post
    From my experience, I have problems getting past the hard disk formatting stage now. It freezes at 33% and fails.

Please respond asap. I need it urgently.
    You will probably get better responses if you open a new thread instead of riding the back of a thread called "Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions". Besides that, you really don't offer enough information to help troubleshoot what might be a hardware problem. Are you doing a manual format, or automatic? Without knowing more, i might suspect the hard drive is going bad. If you still have it, i'd run the hardware test disc that came with the machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leviofan View Post
    Do you have any idea where repositories are? Or is there any available at all?
    I am also searching about repositories. Here is the link.

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

I hope this is the answer to your question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Arrow Re: Detailed instruction to install Ubuntu 8.04 on iBook G4

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    You will probably get better responses if you open a new thread instead of riding the back of a thread called "Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions". Besides that, you really don't offer enough information to help troubleshoot what might be a hardware problem. Are you doing a manual format, or automatic? Without knowing more, i might suspect the hard drive is going bad. If you still have it, i'd run the hardware test disc that came with the machine.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do just that. In fact, I've discovered that it is solvable by the command "live-nosplash-powerpc" when installing from the live CD. I used the alternate CD and it did not go through.

If anyone happens to see this page somehow, here's a link to the PowerPC wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

Hope this helps somebody!
    Last edited by cruising; July 12th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow! I never thought this was possible! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have seen a lot of people who like to install Linux on PPC based Macs but they don't know where to start. Let me tell you one thing, Ubuntu is not officially supporting powerpc since a long time. I tried many things on PPC based Macs and I am most satisfied with Debian now. I run Debian Lenny on a Pismo G3/400, which works well, but don't expect big graphical things there with such hardware. I also know that Debian runs well on ever older beige Macs using BootX (I did it). I have a website dedicated to Linux on Apple Macs. So maybe you will find some nice info for your computer too.

Good luck all of you
    Jeroen

http://mac.linux.be

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast