Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I have unity on lightdm working really well. It's GDM that seems to be sporadic. Noticed a bunch of xmir updates. On one unity based machine it wiped out mouse arrow and now I have an X. If the devs want to kill unity they can go right a ahead.
    After an update, I also got X in the Unity install, and then found that Unity greeter is not working. But, lightdm-gtk-greeter works. The thing is, the upgrade broke Unity-greeter. When I make a workaround to point to unity greeter, upon reboot, I get a grey screen. So, deleted the workaround file and rebooted to lightdm-gtk-greeter. I don't much care what the login screen greeter is, or the look of the login screen, as far as it works. And, now the X is gone. Unity works well.

With the other installs, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Gnome, everything appears to be alright. This Gnome is not default Ubuntu. I don't have a default Ubuntu any more. And, for the first time, since so long, I am not going to install the default Ubuntu on 19th October.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    After an update, I also got X in the Unity install, and then found that Unity greeter is not working. But, lightdm-gtk-greeter works. The thing is, the upgrade broke Unity-greeter. When I make a workaround to point to unity greeter, upon reboot, I get a grey screen. So, deleted the workaround file and rebooted to lightdm-gtk-greeter. I don't much care what the login screen greeter is, or the look of the login screen, as far as it works. And, now the X is gone. Unity works well.

With the other installs, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Gnome, everything appears to be alright. This Gnome is not default Ubuntu. I don't have a default Ubuntu any more. And, for the first time, since so long, I am not going to install the default Ubuntu on 19th October.
    @Chanath,

Thanks. Uh.. the X was on an install that has gdm. I am trying several different ways to test. I keep getting the BIG gdm screen logon on nVidia cards.

And, for the first time, since so long, I am not going to install the default Ubuntu on 19th October.
    I understand. Iv'e never seen an RC so busted like this.

regards..

Beans

In one Unity-only install, after today's upgrade, the Unity-greeter came back, but in another, it didn't so, for the moment installed Slick-greeter. I another laptop, I installed Unity7N.iso on automatic login. No problems yet.

Beans
    Distro

In one Unity-only install, after today's upgrade, the Unity-greeter came back, but in another, it didn't so, for the moment installed Slick-greeter. I another laptop, I installed Unity7N.iso on automatic login. No problems yet.
    Hi Chanath,

Ok.. we can discuss unity7 bugs and help but we cannot discuss the .ISO's that we made. I have requested that the iso thread be moved here: https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=201

I also have not had any problems with respins we created and I'll leave that there.

Good News! Todays ubuntu daily/current finally shutdowns and reboots.
    Bad News! Still freezes up in Plymouth. Will not boot into desktop after hard install on nVidia based metal.

Edit: Installs awesomely on Intel based graphics metal.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; October 13th, 2017 at 09:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Hi Chanath,

Ok.. we can discuss unity7 bugs and help but we cannot discuss the .ISO's that we made. I have requested that the iso thread be moved here: https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=201

I also have not had any problems with respins we created and I'll leave that there.
    That's okay. Only that distro is just pure Ubuntu. I'm going to upgrade it, once things get settled down. In a way, it is the distro that Ubuntu didn't make, but could have.

Beans
    Distro

That's okay. Only that distro is just pure Ubuntu. I'm going to upgrade it, once things get settled down. In a way, it is the distro that Ubuntu didn't make, but could have.
    I agree . it's a solid argument.!! I am assuming we will continue to test unity7 in the manner we are currently during the next cycle. It will be both interesting and fun

Regards..

Beans

I also cannot understand why the person, who created Unity, wouldn't continue with it. It is quite all right to create new docks and things, but...
    I am sure he understands by now that he can't create the same (or near) look as Unity Launcher. You just can't get the beauty Compiz gives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think it was Mark's idea to add the Ubuntu Dock to Ubuntu 17.10. The Ubuntu Desktop Team has said very specifically that the Ubuntu Dock is not intended to be an exact copy of the Unity Launcher.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I don't think it was Mark's idea to add the Ubuntu Dock to Ubuntu 17.10. The Ubuntu Desktop Team has said very specifically that the Ubuntu Dock is not intended to be an exact copy of the Unity Launcher.
    I totally understand and appreciate that. Although gnome3&wayland is not my DE of choice, I have committed to testing it to the end of the next cycle. As far as I can see, from a positive frame of mind, it has, so far, developed significantly for the better.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So I have now got unity back after updates but no power indicator and no logout/shutdown...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast