Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu vs Ubuntu+XFCE

Beans

Xubuntu vs Ubuntu+XFCE

I found myself loving the XFCE enviroment. I could make it looks great without Compiz effecting my 3d proggys. So im curious to know, whats the advantage of using Xubuntu over Ubuntu+XFCE? Is it just thunar vs nautilus or is there other differences in the way it actually works?

Beans

Re: Xubuntu vs Ubuntu+XFCE

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    I found myself loving the XFCE enviroment. I could make it looks great without Compiz effecting my 3d proggys. So im curious to know, whats the advantage of using Xubuntu over Ubuntu+XFCE? Is it just thunar vs nautilus or is there other differences in the way it actually works?
    None whatsoever. Xubuntu is much slower because it has so much GNOME crap built into it. Stick with Ubuntu+XFCE.
    DRUG FREE FOR LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by tel93 View Post
    None whatsoever. Xubuntu is much slower because it has so much GNOME crap built into it. Stick with Ubuntu+XFCE.
    +1. Pure XFCE is a vast improvement over Xubuntu. Without all the crud, XFCE is almost as fast as some of the *box window managers. I highly recommend it.

Edit: To be clear, I'm suggesting a minimal Ubuntu installation with XFCE added, not Gnome Ubuntu plus XFCE. ...
    Last edited by K.Mandla; August 25th, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

What GNOME stuff is in Xubuntu that would slow down the system? I knew there were some GNOME apps, but that shouldn't slow down the system unless you're using them (and you could uninstall them.)

Beans

Ubuntu + Xfce also has GNOME stuff - Ubuntu includes GNOME! However, an Ubuntu minimal install (or a clean distro such as Arch or Slackware) with Xfce is better than Xubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post
    What GNOME stuff is in Xubuntu that would slow down the system? I knew there were some GNOME apps, but that shouldn't slow down the system unless you're using them (and you could uninstall them.)
    Yes. On my K6-2:
    Debian with XFCE: ~30mb RAM usage
    Ubuntu minimal with XFCE: ~50mb RAM usage
    Xubuntu: ~110mb RAM usage
    DRUG FREE FOR LIFE

Beans

That's impressive. My Slack + Xfce uses ~60 MB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Ubuntu + Xfce also has GNOME stuff - Ubuntu includes GNOME! However, an Ubuntu minimal install .. with Xfce is better than Xubuntu.
    That's what I thought too!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu minimal with XFCE: ~50mb RAM usage
    Xubuntu: ~110mb RAM usage
    I'd imagine that ~110mb RAM would only be an issue on an older machine. I mean if a system has 2GB RAM(as most newer systems do these days), and is a P4 or higher, I doubt very much that there will be any noticeable difference between ~110mb RAM and ~50mb RAM usage.

It comes down to hardware really............to answer the thread question, that is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ArtF10 View Post
    I'd imagine that ~110mb RAM would only be an issue on an older machine. I mean if a system has 2GB RAM(as most newer systems do these days), and is a P4 or higher, I doubt very much that there will be any noticeable difference between ~110mb RAM and ~50mb RAM usage.

It comes down to hardware really............to answer the thread question, that is.
    Yes, but what is Xubuntu made for? Old computers.

Oh, BTW, Debian + IceWM gets 18mb RAM.
    DRUG FREE FOR LIFE

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast