Thread: Has ubuntu considered...?

Beans
    Hidden!

Has ubuntu considered...?

Ubuntu uses .deb, which i think is a fantastic idea. However, since it's open source, no reason we couldn't tweak dpkg and apt-get a little bit... I think it would be awesome, since the .deb's coming from ubuntu have to pass a .deb build check in the first place, if similar software could be included on each ubuntu-installation, and make an option for your downloaded packages from the repositories compile on your machine AUTOMATICALLY, thus having the benefits of .deb and compiling your own source code.

ie:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gimp
    the above would download debian geared source code for gimp, and the debian geared dependencies, then compile them into .debs on the user's machine, and presto, installs them.
    Last edited by d3v1150m471c; April 6th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Has ubuntu considered...?

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    Ubuntu uses .deb, which i think is a fantastic idea. However, since it's open source, no reason we couldn't tweak dpkg and apt-get a little bit... I think it would be awesome, since the .deb's coming from ubuntu have to pass a .deb build check in the first place, if similar software could be included on each ubuntu-installation, and make an option for your downloaded packages from the repositories compile on your machine AUTOMATICALLY, thus having the benefits of .deb and compiling your own source code.

ie:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gimp
    the above would download debian geared source code for gimp, and the debian geared dependencies, then compile them into .debs on the user's machine, and presto, installs them.
    I think you're looking for http://www.gentoo.org/
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    I think you're looking for http://www.gentoo.org/
    Lol...no, i'm not looking for gentoo. I'm at ubuntu and thinking of ways it could improve. Not to mention, i think this should be an option but not necessarily a default, as compiling can take a very long time and most end-users don't want to spend hours with their machine's resources tied up to compile an update. However, a lot of the community compiles from source and debianizes the code because they want certain pieces of their system to run optimally. For example, i have an amd athlon which is i686. If i want i686 built binaries, i have to build them myself. I'm going to consider starting my own project in the ways of this but it's definitely not something i could do on my own. At the very least without feedback. if anyone else is interested in this idea, hit me up.

Beans
    Hidden!

bump