Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Gnome Shell Dash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hide Gnome Shell Dash

I prefer Docky over Gnomw Shell's Dash (ie side bar), is there a way to hide the latter?

Many thanks,
    Trilby
    Dell XPS17 L702X running Gnome Shell on 64 Bit Ubuntu 11.10 & 64-Bit Windows 7 | Shell Extensions |
    There are 11 types of people in the world: Those who get this joke, those who don't and those who are geeky enough to find it funny.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hide Gnome Shell Dash

When you open up the Overview, Docky will hide. On the other hand, while the overview isn't open, Docky should act normally.

By the way, GNOME Shell doesn't have a dock unless you add an extension. That's unity that does.
    If only you could brew your forum beans. Free coffee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydean886-2 View Post
    When you open up the Overview, Docky will hide. On the other hand, while the overview isn't open, Docky should act normally.
    I know that. I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydean886-2 View Post
    By the way, GNOME Shell doesn't have a dock unless you add an extension. That's unity that does.
    It does, see attachment, the thing on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dell XPS17 L702X running Gnome Shell on 64 Bit Ubuntu 11.10 & 64-Bit Windows 7 | Shell Extensions |
    There are 11 types of people in the world: Those who get this joke, those who don't and those who are geeky enough to find it funny.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That is hidden when you are in the desktop, unless you install the Dock extension. You can't hide it in the Activities Overview, though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lolpenguin View Post
    That is hidden when you are in the desktop, ... ... You can't hide it in the Activities Overview, though.
    I know. However, on a related note, does anyone know how to change the side of the screen it appears on?

Beans
    Distro

I'm a little confused at the installation instructions:

To install the extension, clone this repository and symlink the directory "hide-dash@zacbarton.com" into "~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/". Then restart gnome-shell (<Alt> + F2 and enter "r"), open gnome-tweak-tool and enable the extension.
    What does that mean exactly?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by webdesigncompanyla View Post
    What does that mean exactly?
    That is an old instruction on how to enable a gnome shell extension from the time before the extensions.gnome.org site. Now you just press the ON button on that site and it does it all for you.

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    That is an old instruction on how to enable a gnome shell extension from the time before the extensions.gnome.org site. Now you just press the ON button on that site and it does it all for you.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/79/hide-dash/

The extensions page for the "HIDE DASH" extension have the same uncomprehendable instructions I listed above. I'm fine editing code, but I don't know what clone means, etc.

Could someone give the instructions on how to install this extension?

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post

Sorry, I didn't under stand what "just press the ON button on that site" meant. It might be a good idea to have instructions stating that you can toggle the on/off switch. It's not really a "button", it's a switch, but I don't see where it says you can toggle.

I found it out by watching a video.

Thanks!

(little things like clear instructions will make Linux better)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast