Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does nothing work

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why does nothing work

Please realize that you need not install Unity! You can install other Ubuntu flavours, that come without Unity instead of complaining about it.

Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Gnome ...

Depending on your hardware (cpu, ram, graphics ...) and your preferences, different versions and flavours might be best for you.

Beans

How about Debian?

Beans

Compiz is more or less a dead project. The lead developer gave up on it like, a year ago.

It's funny; we've never had more choice in the desktop than now, but I keep reading these threads where people want to stick with Unity and complain about it. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, E17, Pantheon, Cinnamon, Mate, Trinity, Razor-QT, not to mention all those window managers (Openbox, Awesome, i3, etc). There's just no reason to keep using a DE you don't like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    It's funny; we've never had more choice in the desktop than now, but I keep reading these threads where people want to stick with Unity and complain about it. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, E17, Pantheon, Cinnamon, Mate, Trinity, Razor-QT, not to mention all those window managers (Openbox, Awesome, i3, etc). There's just no reason to keep using a DE you don't like.
    I'll never understand this about a lot of linux users, we should be supportive of each other and the distro's we use, why such a thing as a 'distro war' even exists boggles my mind, it should be a distro parade, not a war, if you like Debian great! If you like Scientific Linux great! Why the need to insult and hurt the work of thousands of people :/
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    ... Why the need to insult and hurt the work of thousands of people :/
    That passes as discussion and freedom of speech. Can't wait for Discourse to get more popular

Beans

i know. but i like compiz. and would like to keep using it. It doesnt seem to like other flavours of ubuntu though. I have tried them all. if you read my original post properly. i do not want to stick with unity. i want as little as possible to do with it. Might just upgrade to windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the problem with unity is that is way different from the windows xp experience. dont forget, windows xp, for the most people, was the first OS that they used and they got used to it. gnome 2, xfce, lxde just wanted to copy the windows xp interface, that is why they are so popular.
    i think that is time to move ahead, the future belongs to interface like metro, unity, gnome-shell, etc. either we like it or not.
    from my experience, the newer interfaces need a little time to get used to, not too much, at least in my case. but you need to force yourself to use it for about few weeks, not to dump it after five minutes.
    you have told us that audio player does not work: what audio player? there are plenty of them in linux world.

later edit:
    the most important thing in the linux environment is that the number of apps is growing, that it is what really matters!
    Last edited by richardsdma; October 30th, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedName View Post
    i know. but i like compiz. and would like to keep using it. It doesnt seem to like other flavours of ubuntu though. I have tried them all. if you read my original post properly. i do not want to stick with unity. i want as little as possible to do with it. Might just upgrade to windows.
    The only desktop environment I know of that is actually designed to run with compiz is Unity, and that probably won't last much longer.
    From what I've read on these forums, many compiz functions don't actually work right with Unity.

I don't know what problems you had with compiz and LXDE, but AFAIK it's supposed to be window-manager-agnostic.

I suppose you could try MATE, which was forked from GNOME2 and theoretically would work as well as GNOME2 did with compiz.

Or, I guess, if you consider Windows an upgrade, you can go that route. Have a nice time.

Beans

stop with this idea that unity is the way to go. its slow, clunky and un-necessary
    Your opinion, which is fine but many people disagree.
    bug ridden mess heap you have out now.
    Sorry you're having problems, but many people don't, me being one of them. Otherwise millions of people wouldn't be using it.
    Im looking for something without pannels or dock bars plastered all over the place.
    All over the place? Funny, I only noticed one dock, (like MacOS, Xubuntu, and a few others) Not sure what you mean about panels "all over the place". Don't like it? Don't use it, but complaining here is useless. Users hang out here, and very few developers (if any). Try other forms of Ubuntu, and settle on one.

I despise anything Microsoft, but going to the MS forums and complaining would be an exercise in futility. All you have to do is say you don't like it, and ask for suggestions. Going on and on about it is unbecoming. Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by richardsdma View Post
    the most important thing in the linux environment is that the number of apps is growing, that it is what really matters!
    I just hit the "Like" button. Apps are where it's at. People can adapt to desktop environments. (at least most can) Then there are those that will complain until their last breath, as if it does any good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast